The Welsh Argos

Nob

rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
Having raced against this Welsh Legend (Derek Rogers) & seen his stunning machine back in 81 & loved the way it looked I had an urge to try to replicate it as trying to track down the original frame prooved fruitless as I had word back that Derek had sold the frame long ago. Those that knew Derek in this period knew he rode to events using a motorcycle & my memory of seeing him on a Honda CBX500 rings a bell. At this time he won many TTevents on Welsh & west courses just across the Severn bridge. Derek was a gentleman & always had time for a talk usually after the event as he was pretty much focused on his preparation & ride ahead of the timekeepers countdown.
So below is an iconic picture of Derek on the machine I was going to make a tribute for.
BAB145BF-93C4-4A02-ACCD-B7EF057F54F9.jpeg

The machine was built by Argos & was a fixed based machine for a couple of years as Derek did get it converted to gears but preened never happy with gears. From when I knew him he raced on a huge 128” gear of a 57x12. He wanted an aero look so chose a full set of Columbus Air Mk.1 tubing set. So I knew in the current age this was going to be extremely hard to track down!!
But a project of this nature you have to be patient & luckily for me earlier this year a set came up & grabbed it straight away regardless of price as I know just how rare these things truly are.
48BA1116-7F7E-406F-8528-FED71F6F2B15.jpeg

The project started back in February 2021 & I met up with the original frame builder Garry Needham son of the founder of Argos Arthur who I also met back in 80 & both are extremely knowledgeable on frame building etc.. I met Garry a couple of times to discuss the build & he found the original drawings & plans with Derek’s special requests so this replica frame was going to be an exact clone to the original having found a full set up the tubing.
Never seen before drawing made up by Derek himself when he discussed his requirements with Garry at Argos below
B5E1BEC3-0BF5-45B3-91DA-1C3F17DAF5E5.jpeg

Back