The Untold Story of a Mobster

Thanks! Yes, I remember that we talked about it - and those tires (bruce gordon rock n road) are awesome. They behave quite well in most conditons :)

Lovely bike.

Needs Paul's klampers for full scene points!

Planet X have bruce gordon rock n roads in 700 and 650b for £20 each. Thats not a typo.

was8v":9ia85qa6 said:
Lovely bike.

Planet X have bruce gordon rock n roads in 700 and 650b for £20 each. Thats not a typo.
Thank you for the info on rock n roads!
PAUL Klampers would have been an option but there was no way to fit the rear caliper properly... And the XT/Brifter Compo works just fine :)

caemis":1m0r2koz said:
was8v":1m0r2koz said:
Lovely bike.

Thank you for the info on rock n roads!
PAUL Klampers would have been an option but there was no way to fit the rear caliper properly... And the XT/Brifter Compo works just fine :)

yep and likely work much better, I always wonder if the bikes on the radavist are actually ridden much.

Theres some good panaracer made tyres going cheap on PX, I got some jack brown 33.333mm for road use.

I realized that I never continued the Untold Story of the Mobster for almost two years ... Of course a lot have happened during this time and I did use the bike a lot since. After the first rides on my home trails and gravel roads I took it to its first solo overnighter, followed by a multi-week long bikepacking tour with my wife and kids through the remote areas of the northeastern parts of Germany, and a joined trip with mcada/steelfightaback/Matthias. In September 2019 I had to travel to NYC on behalf of my University - and of course I took the Lobster with me.

I used the bike for my daily commute from Queens to Manhattan, I took it down to Breezy Point on Long Island and all the way along the shore of the Hudson towards the Bear Mountain Bridge just to ride home on the Old Croton Aqueduct trail. The highlight has been a long weekend spent in the Catskills, including hammock camping in stormy nights, gettin lost in the woods and a close encounter with a lovely black bear. But after three weeks I had to leave and returned to Germany where I disambled the bike and sent it off to Gerrit/cycle art for a paint job:

I finished the rebuild only a few days before the first lockdown was set in place. With a lot of work and a uncertain situation for the kids I spent most of the time riding with my family and when summer took over, again we were riding and camping for some weeks. In September 2020 mcada and I went to the Harz Mountains pushing our bikes up the steep ascents

Eventually after some more local trail rides I finished off the year with a long and cold ride, meanwhile having converted the Mobster to a fixed gear Monster

To be continued ...

------

Of course I wish all of you a good and healthy start into 2021. Ride on!

:cool: great story and some great looking times.

The paint really transforms the bike :D

Back