The ten most important mountainbikes

Ductape":glxil9ci said:
Are you all skipping over Ritchey on purpose?
Seems weird.

nobody is skipping anything,..just put upthere what you think should be in the top 10....lets work towards a list that seems to work for most of us,..
Could be a hard job ;)

Breezer 1-10
Koski Trailmaster/Cooks...
Cunningham Racer/Indian
Ritchy Mt. Tam and variants
Fisher CR7/Mantis XCE
Specialized Stumpjumper
GT RTS1
Mantis ProFloater

Mr K

Ok, Ill play,
Without too much thought:

Prewar Schwinn
26" BMX Cruisers
Breezer
Ritchey
Fisher
WTB
Ibis
Fat Chance
Mtn. Goat
Specialized

May have missed one or two in my haste and after the first four, order may be skewed by my prefrences.
Cheers,
T

jonboy":366wuiww said:
Ductape":366wuiww said:
Are you all skipping over Ritchey on purpose?
Seems weird.

Never like their geometry, the head angle was just a touch too relaxed imo.

Think you could say that about almost any early vintage Mtn. bike (oh wait, most any early mtn bike was borrowed from Ritchey's geometry)
Now, what was the original question.

most of these are more the brands then the actual model
not every model from the brands are that historical important
When i think back myself about the early days, let's put it clear, my early days,....there are a few bikes that made a big impression on me.
My early days start from the 1990's so the first Ritchey's are not bikes i remember

I was drewling over pictures from the Yo Eddy, Attitude 1990, Boulder Defiant,Dekerf,......but these are not all icons,..

Yea sure Defiant, now you are making me look old.......
Top shelf for me when I first started drooling at bikes were the Ritcheys, brazed Fishers, and I remember when the first Kleins showed up in the shops. Don't think I noticed a Fat chance until around 89/90 ish.
46 in about two weeks....
Cheers,
T

I'm having a think about this. Not too sure the stumpy deserves to be up there. For me its importance was that it was the first mass produced mountain bike. I think that it was inevitable that was going to happen at some stage. I guess the really important bikes were the first of the custom jobs, ritchey, cunningham, et al

Back