The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

:x I can't get on e-bay to buy the Rotel. x fingers still when i get home

The Rotel has gone - was it you?

Still reckon you'd be better going passive - and not from the headphone output on a CD player as it's usually a manky little general purpose op amp output - especially since you've spent a lot of money on (literally) transparent power amps.

Trust me, you just need a volume potentiometer in a box. ANYONE could make one for less than a tenner, yet 'audiophile' passive pre-amps sell for silly money to gullible fools.

<note to self - simple money making opportunity> ;)

If you really want a pre-amp, those fromage pointed out will fit the bill, but why introduce more circuitry when you don't need to? It can only degrade your sound quality, but by how much depends on what you choose.

Have a read here. The circuit at the top is all you need for line level sources. http://sound.westhost.com/project01.htm

apache":12bcrv62 said:
The Rotel has gone - was it you?

Yes. I found a friend to buy for me. I understand what you are saying. And makes sense.

But went for the Rotel.

I run one of these QED tings on some Kelvin monoblocks - sounds fine to my ears.

Attachments

• image.php.jpeg
    image.php.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 4,424
We all like to twiddle our knobs, but you can have as many inputs as you like passively too :)

I have a part built phono pre-amp (obviously that can't be passive) which just requires me to get my finger out and finish prototyping the shunt regs which will power it, and then I will be boxing it up and building the rest of it passively. Mind you, I only have vinyl, a squeezebox and a CD player so the switching won't be particularly complex.

I might make it available for audition to interested parties when it's done.

Don't recall any ill effects with them stacked... Just make sure there's space for airflow for the amps to stay cool. If you hear hum, move stuff (but you won't with line level stuff because hum breakthrough indicates less than great design). You won't damage anything through positioning.

Ignore the bull about demagnetising CDs etc. it's just another way of taking money off 'audiophiles' with no technical knowledge - like green pens, charged ball bearings etc.

Thanks.
I now have a restore project going on with some headphones. Should be complete next week. Then pictures.

Back