The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff and sales thread

Drop dead gorgeous Sansui AU-117. Freshly repaired (driver and O/P transistor, and bias re-set) and featuring some re-capping and upgraded phono input board (fully re-capped using poly caps rather than electrolytics for the input caps, and RIAA curve definition resistors changed to 1% precision metal film). Lovingly polished up and cleaned inside and out. Proper timewarp!

£60 delivered

Attachments

• DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 4,468
  • DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 4,468
  • DSCF0010.JPG
    DSCF0010.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 4,468

As some of you may have noticed from my previous post i was on the lookout for a CD player.
So the question is.....what have i bought(after a cheeky bottle of red) and have i wasted my money? :D

Good question, and one we can't answer if you don't tell us :)

apache":2b2tt1gh said:
Gaz, re. the Sansui - no, just going to service - replace any caps looking past their best. They're lovely as they are. Always wanted a 217 in my teens but couldn't afford!

John, you're right, there are no schematics out there. I'm guessing that they use one of the current vogue of 'T' class amplifiers, which are basically a very efficient way of doing things without the expense of big power supplies, and are hyped to the point of fairy-tale regarding their audio performance. They are usually an amp on a chip, so as such are either dead easy (if it's the chip) or not economically viable (if it's the PWM circuitry around them) to repair.

I'd be happy to take a look for you, but cant promise any timescales. If I can sort them, no charge other than shipping.

apache,

you are a gent and a scholar, PM incoming.

john

John":26rt5zmi said:
apache":26rt5zmi said:
Gaz, re. the Sansui - no, just going to service - replace any caps looking past their best. They're lovely as they are. Always wanted a 217 in my teens but couldn't afford!

John, you're right, there are no schematics out there. I'm guessing that they use one of the current vogue of 'T' class amplifiers, which are basically a very efficient way of doing things without the expense of big power supplies, and are hyped to the point of fairy-tale regarding their audio performance. They are usually an amp on a chip, so as such are either dead easy (if it's the chip) or not economically viable (if it's the PWM circuitry around them) to repair.

I'd be happy to take a look for you, but cant promise any timescales. If I can sort them, no charge other than shipping.

apache,

you are a gent and a scholar, PM incoming.

john

Hi John, PM received - I hope you realised I meant to type if I *can't* sort them, no charge. :facepalm: If I can, there may or may not be parts costs.

Afternoon all,

I am looking for some info on hifi related queries. Is this the right place?

Richard

I have 2 number 2m chord bi wire cable. It's just like rumour 4 but only has 'the chord company' written on the sleeving. I believe it is the earlier bi wire they sold before having different types. Very lovely sound (siver plated ofc type thing) I have it as 2 pairs as I found it gave it a warmer sound. On ebay for more but £40 posted

Attachments

• $(KGrHqR,!loFJ)V2l94fBSfkFMvTqQ~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqR,!loFJ)V2l94fBSfkFMvTqQ~~60_12.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 4,411

TGR":1p3fya8g said:
Afternoon all,

I am looking for some info on hifi related queries. Is this the right place?

Richard

yes, step this way - what can we do for you (mind the coffee table)?

Thanks for the welcome. My initial query is scant of details but here goes. My father died 18 months ago and we are still clearing his stuff away. He liked music and has a few reel to reel tape machines. Also, there is a hifi from presumably the 70's. I did not take any notice of the make but it is separates and the speakers are an odd shape - maybe hexagonal or similar (ie not square!!).

Are any of these items worth any money? I can get more details on the actual items if required but i just want some guidance before they get binned by mistake.

Thanks,

Richard

Back