The long, slow build for the Lil' Lady

Re: The long, slow build for the Lil' Lady - Weightweenie Wheel?

Nothing to add, just poped in for a neb...

RickTheUncivil":3uppa9l7 said:
I reckon the Novatec hubs and Spank rims (maybe with 16 spokes, still thinking on that one) should bring the bare wheelset in around 1.5kg, so some lightweight tyres should allow a sub-3kg wheelset, maybe a bit over once a cassette is added.

Did someone say lightweight tyres?

Attachments

• DSC_1792.jpg
    DSC_1792.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,408
  • DSC_1791.jpg
    DSC_1791.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,408
Re:

Spank Subrosa rim 520g, Alienation Deviant rim ~460g.
Thats a ~60g saving per wheel.

Bargain.

Trouble is, 36 holes means back to the drawing board for hubs.

And the green was starting to grow on me too

Oh well...

Attachments

• DSC_0150.jpg
    DSC_0150.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,280

i've been running 16 spoke f&r on my orange single speed for 2 yrs with no problem, only used for town riding and i'm 5'9 of medium build so should be fine on a kids bike. everyone on here said i would die...but i don't listen. i wouldn't do drop off's with them though, just use common sence.

this 32 vs 36 spoke wheel thing is getting me down. I'm really struggling to find decent lightweight hubs on the budget with 36 holes.

To save the ~60g at the rim by switching to the Alienation rims from the Spank, I'm currently looking at losing the ~270g novatec 32H rear hub in favour of a 420g XT756 hub, thats a 150g penalty. Not quite as bad at the front, I have a Hope Pro2 which is 'only' 50g heavier than the novatec unit, but still it seems of limited benefit other than moving the mass from the rim to the hub.

Unless I can get my hands on a lighter rear hub with 36 holes it looks like I'll be sticking with 32H.

Although if I'm planning to reduce the spoke count I could probably get a 24H hub and that would still build up nice and balanced to a 36H rim.... 6 pairs per side instead of 9.... but I would need to do some maths to work out the required spoke lengths. I don't know maths :cry:

RickTheUncivil":34stfdmo said:
...Although if I'm planning to reduce the spoke count I could probably get a 24H hub and that would still build up nice and balanced to a 36H rim....

thinking about it, increasing from 16 spokes (32H rim) to 24 spokes (36H rim) means ~6g (spoke + nipple) x8 = +~50g in spokes. so saving 50g from the rim is all well and good, but I'd gain it again in spokes.

Hmmmm. :?

You see, this is why I have never bothered with weight weening, its making my head hurt

looks like it. Maths just doesn't add up the other way so back to 32 hole / 16 spoke as the plan I reckon.

Back