The Great Glen By Water And Bike, There And Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
highlandsflyer":3lbakrd3 said:
It was an outline idea, what part of that do you not understand dunderheed?

Ah, resorting to yet more abuse but still no answers or clarification.

Your "outline idea" has had numerous posts, over 5 pages, querying your proposed route/distances, time-scale, etc but your answers lack any coherence as to actually doing it in the real world with real people. It was your idea in the first place as you said something about giving a bit back to RetroBike, you've had time enough to think about proper time-scales/distances for the level of ability of those you are trying to involve.

You are the one who has repeatedly stated your experience and ability to do this trip, I know I have the experience to do it too but what about the occasional weekend paddler, the ones that will have learnt to paddle for this, with no real experience of bad conditions out on a long windswept loch? Remember how quickly weather conditions can change in Scotland. Forget Loch Ness as from what you wrote earlier this isn't going to be paddled/reached before you suggest the 2nd group paddle back south/west after changeover camp-out.

Have you looked at this? http://greatglencanoetrail.info/
If yes, why haven't you posted it on here to inform potential paddlers/bikers of the Great Glen Canoe Trail?
Having read some of it, there is way more involved in paddling the Trail than just getting in a canoe and paddling away. As it is a canal, Scottish Canals would need to be informed of a group such as this using the canal because of other commercial/recreational users.

Read the page on them wanting you to register your trip. I know it goes against all I enjoyed about the freedom of being in a canoe on the water but that's what they want. Many years ago friends of mine told me that some of their clubmates in the Royal West of Scotland Amateur Boat Club (canoe/kayak section ;) ) out of Greenock, got howked oot the water, canoes and everything, by a Royal Navy ship as they had paddled too far into restricted waters in the Holy Loch. Not remotely saying the canal is the same but authorities like this don't like people ignoring them when the safety of users is endangered.

Here's a PDF of whole Great Glen route, http://greatglencanoetrail.info/uploads ... d%20AW.pdf

So say Fort Augustus or thereabouts as changeover point, that's around 30 miles to paddle on canal, lochs Lochy and Oich, and rivers, with portages, in one day.

Miserable **** I may be, but since it's your idea get some real info/facts for us to digest. Simple enough even a dunderheid like me can find some info of relevance, surely you can find some more?

Re:

Right that's it.
I've let this try to find a middle ground but I'm not putting up with this kind of thing.

Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back