The good old days when bike manufacturers publicised weights

Re: The good old days when bike manufacturers publicised wei

My 94 fsr doesn't bob.

better bikes have made loony stuff easier for riders with less skills to do awesome stuff. however the greatest detriment to any performance is the carbon based life form riding it. You can give the most skilled rider a bobbins bike and they will amaze you with what they can go up down across or around with it.

i think i can see where this thread is going lol.............

But give someone who was brought up on fully rigid bikes, then front sus then full sus over the years and then give them an enormous full sus with a foot of travel and 40lb and he will kick everyone's arse...

Ladies and Gentlemen

Steve Peat!

having raced and beaten some on an old trek 9000 at peaties stomping ground races a few years ago

I can beat modern bikes on modern trails on an old shitty bike......but, i have been riding atb and bmx for over 20 years now so talent, or experience needs including. i am no quicker on my retro hardtail than on my modern

back on topic

the mags seem to list weights and i am surprised that new technology doesn't allow stronger lighter materials that are cheaper to make/sell bikes with. or do we think that materials for general use are practically at their limit?

Lol Audi :D

Chopper1192":9ua5x4bf said:
..suggest in a kg-to-failure test the lavadrone would crack(sic) first.

Would be a great test though, you have to admit! :)

I've got nothing against Giant specifically, but their racks of £500-900 bikes must've averaged 38lbs a piece. Considering tech/materials science has moved on so far, dedication to weight just hasn't.

Do me a favour ... weigh the £1,500 Giant, it'll probably be similar to my old £1,800 Cannondale - lightish and strongish; the point is it could be a hell of a lot lighter, and the manufacturer could be a hell of a lot more up-front about what they're producing

longun":1y0x0n7z said:
i am surprised that new technology doesn't allow stronger lighter materials that are cheaper to make/sell bikes with. or do we think that materials for general use are practically at their limit?

I think the materials are close to the limit, and there's no doubt manufacturing is a hell of a lot more effective, perhaps it's just that retail is stretching the profit margins further - so although they could sell a 24lb Giant for £800 (which would be in line with technological progress), they'd prefer to sell it for £1,800 (for example), because MONEY

Pyro Tim":3rf7riqp said:
It's happened in cars. The Mark 1 Golf GTI is still the fastest made Golf GTI, as the new ones are so heavy

Or, you know, not that at all.

Weight of the LX FD-M563 from about 1998 is 130 grams. Zoom on about 15 years with all the progress and pushing things to technical limits, and the weight of the latest XT FD-M770 is 150 grams. That's about a 15% increase on a rather simple front mech .... which by the way is now complete with more pressed steel instead of alloy and a generic plastic band to fit various seat-tube diameters.

Saving weight seems no longer relevant for mountain bikes anymore....because I suppose you are only expected to ride gravity assisted and do 8 ft jumps?

Back