The end is nigh: Kona Bikes

It does seem on this forum that there is sometimes this undercurrent of 'my way is the only way', and a lack of understanding that forms of riding bikes can exist other than their chosen genre,.

He, he...agreed. This is a forum about vintage bikes, meaning most of us are slowly getting into the old grumpy judgmental age. Think your father-in-law but with way too many bikes in the shed...

don't know if anyone had seen this, copied from the facebook page:-

We are going nowhere!
💪

There is far too much to say in a social post, so we encourage you all to message us, or message your local store in the U.K. for more details.
The Kona global set up is detailed and complex, and it enables the U.K. to carry on even if other countries do not. There are still a lot of great bikes ready to go, in shops, in factories, in warehouses and we are scrambling to get MORE! Including the new models.
👌
😍
🤩

We shared an action plan with U.K. retailers this morning, and you will see more details in supportive media outlets soon too. This details how warranty will be provided, spares, new stock and more.
The U.K. is used to going solo, it’s nothing new, whilst we wait and hope for a buyer for Kona globally, it’s our intent to remain the flame that keeps the brand alive.
🇬🇧
🗽

There’s been so much support, so many positive vibes in the last few days we hope everyone reading this will continue to love Kona as much as we do!
🙏

Much more to come! Do not lose hope friends! We are putting our keyboard down to get back on the phone and get more Kona bikes for the U.K. market
🔥
🔥

Thanks Everybody
The Kona U.K. Crew / Mount Green Cycles

kona.jpg

I’m sure they have stock they still want to sell so it’s natural to want to calm the waves.

I’m not sure id buy a brand which could likely not exist in 6 months should a warranty issue come up unless heavily discounted beyond what’s already out there.

I struggle to see how once the stock has run out where the company will stand. As I’m sure they are hoping a buyer comes along before that happens but who’s to say that will.

I'd probably still buy 'em. It's not like all bike companies I've encountered are particularly good on the warranty front. But, for sure, I probably wouldn't want to spend big ie a full suspension.

Warranty liability is with the retailer (in the uk)not the manufacturer iirc.
Trading standards say this:
20240426_084112.jpg
So if you buy off a decent retailer, they will need to sort it out for you.
It's their problem not yours.
If course if that snapped swingarm is no longer available...🤔

WCRs collapse has a far bigger effect on liability claims than a manufacturer's would - but this is where decent brands can step in to help, even though they have no obligation.
I can't remember what happened with Evans warranties.

But how can the shop replace the frame if the manufacturer is gone?

Can’t imagine a cycle shop would be too accommodating if several people starting snapping frames which cost thousands. They would be folding the company and setting up again …..

The retailer would have to try to offer you a similar item that you were happy with if repair was impossible - or your money back.

If a retailer had multiple claims for a faulty item from a bancrupt manufacturer, it would be:
A) unlucky
B) claiming on the business's public liability insurance.

I would think if you folded your company to avoid public liability, you could end up in court.

The customers could probably still claim on your insurance anyway.

I don't think the kona situation is that bad though, I think they are just thinking of winding it up.

Back