The end is nigh: Kona Bikes

I don't get the legal structure. Are we saying it could survive broken up independently country wise without a head-office? ☹️

I don't get the legal structure. Are we saying it could survive broken up independently country wise without a head-office? ☹️
My understanding is the distributors can continue to order direct from the factories(as they always have), but only until the albeit cosiderable existing stocks are used up.

My understanding is the distributors can continue to order direct from the factories(as they always have), but only until the albeit cosiderable existing stocks are used up.
So basically, please keep sending us money, we’ll send you bikes that haven’t been a great commercial success (for whatever reason), except now we’ll provide no warranty back-up/support etc.

Reactions: Woz
So basically, please keep sending us money, we’ll send you bikes that haven’t been a great commercial success (for whatever reason), except now we’ll provide no warranty back-up/support etc.

I even gave a tongue in cheek / serious post about this. Beckons the question, why you would want to shell out in the first place for a new unsupported product when the competitor can. I see the / any retailer being squeezed in the middle, and they would probably be more comfortable leaving this shipwreck altogether.

Queue Kona banners and PR stuff on Ebay for cheap. ;)

No love lost on these bike brands, many are no longer the way they were, there names
were long sold to new entities and now run with no faithfulness or passion as the folk
before them. Cannondale, Raleigh for eg are just names used to carry the brand in the hope
you still associate it with how its history portrays.

When I buy a bike frame for a build I choose it on its merits, the name in most cases is nothing theses days,
they are all pretty much made in Taiwan among a few factories, no bad thing off course, the brand tend to choose from a catalogue
of designs and slap there name on.

The arse end on a Diamond Back I have is the same as that on some Konas, same
pivot bolts, rocker, seat stay etc slight variations in front end but you could mix n match.
Net pics for comparison.
FRAME Diamond Back S Series.jpg FRAME  2000 Kona Mano Mano.JPG

Not convinced many bike brands, like Kona, were anything more than cleverly marketed mass produced bikes we enjoyed in our younger more naive days, and now look upon with misty eyed nostalgia. I can understand the love for brands which were hand built by boutique bike makers for specific individuals - but even then it's only the frame which is special. One XT rear mech of a particular year is exactly the same as 20K other ones.

All that said, I still remember seeing my first Kona in the early 90s - and instantly getting why it was the geometry it was, admiring the aesthetics and feeling a little envious of the person riding it.

So, it's a wind-down unless someone, and I'm repeating myself, had deep pockets / is slightly warped and fancies buying a brand who are in deep trouble. In the meantime, in the UK at least, keep an eye out for more bargains.

Not convinced many bike brands, like Kona, were anything more than cleverly marketed mass produced bikes we enjoyed in our younger more naive days, and now look upon with misty eyed nostalgia. I can understand the love for brands which were hand built by boutique bike makers for specific individuals - but even then it's only the frame which is special. One XT rear mech of a particular year is exactly the same as 20K other ones.

All that said, I still remember seeing my first Kona in the early 90s - and instantly getting why it was the geometry it was, admiring the aesthetics and feeling a little envious of the person riding it.

Well said. Thing not to forget, they kind of did have there heads screwed on and were also a bit unorthodox on mixing and matching.

I had a second hand Kona AA which bought me to this site, so yes I have a warm spot for them. Just how cool were those logos? Loved the bike down fast fire roads when it got rebuilt retro-mod. Years later I flashed more on what they were doing on the road / commuter scene - sort of felt Kona could still do it, but Surly couldn't in my eyes.

1713820706140.png

Back