The end is nigh: Kona Bikes

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Sadly this has been on the cards since 2021 and the well known industry issues and really bad mistakes made, during the pandemic.

Unless someone with deep pockets comes along, then I think that's it for the brand. It'll likely get wound down, some stock bought by some distributors and that's that. Someone might buy the name, but I doubt it.

Full respect that Kona did the most Kona thing possible that on the day the stand was pulled and the townhall took place, they launched a new bike. At the heart of the company, they are unconventional, somewhat provocative and prone to the odd clanger! It reads to me like a massive 2 fingers to Kent 🤣

ouro-1.png

Last edited:
All good things come to an end. It's common with businesses, especially those that were once truly great and had something unique and groundbreaking about their products.

Maintaining that is very difficult, the original brains behind the early success get replaced by money focused people, instead of aggressively attacking the market and staying fresh by innovating and creating, it becomes about protecting the brand. Ideas dry up, new upstarts with younger hungrier and more imaginative minds steam ahead.

Then the old guard become trend followers, always one step behind, clinging onto an ever decreasing and aging but loyal customer base that doesn't want the same things that the emerging market demands.

Sad but inevitable, nobody likes to see an old soldier fall, at least this one maintained most of its dignity.

Wise words from @Tsundere . I would rather Kona finished than hung on as some name-only storebrand like Muddy Fox,

These are difficult times for the business, not helped by Private Equity (I worked for a great semiconductor company that was smashed by greedy PE finance). But closures are necessary for the others to survive.

RIP Kona, My Kaboom remains the favourite bike in the garage.

All anyone ever needed was a Purple Lava Dome with 500LX.

This is a shame, the industry is so led by marketing & the marketeering folk, all the brands are slipping down the same tube it seems.

I have had the feeling for many years that bikes are for the most part, much the same these days. The true identity from one to another isn't there like it once was. I would imagine someone will pick up the name Kona at some point but I doubt anything special will come out of it, just some profit for someone for a few years until they get it wrong (Again).

Sadly this has been on the cards since 2021 and the well known industry issues and really bad mistakes made, during the pandemic.

Unless someone with deep pockets comes along, then I think that's it for the brand. It'll likely get wound down, some stock bought by some distributors and that's that. Someone might buy the name, but I doubt it.

Full respect that Kona did the most Kona thing possible that on the day the stand was pulled and the townhall took place, they launched a new bike. At the heart of the company, they are unconventional, somewhat provocative and prone to the odd clanger! It reads to me like a massive 2 fingers to Kent 🤣

ouro-1.png
The 2024 Factory racing team was not long announced.

If the rumours are true, it would be best for Kona to wind down completely rather than to continue in a watered down state of its former self.

Kona will always be one of the most iconic brands MTB has ever known - underpinned by its strong loyal community.

Just read that Kent have appointed a new CFO after the Sea Otter pull-out... Strange that, hopefully means someone's head rolled for messing with Kona? (We can live in hope can't we?)

Is a shame, only bought two bikes from them though.

A 1999 Kona Stinky Dee and a 2022 Honzo 29er. Wasn't overly keen on the 29er and the quality.

Older appeared better in my opinion.

Back