The County of Avon

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
In 2016 it will be twenty years since the County of Avon ceased to be and the four unitary authorities were formed.

And yet I STILL get post coming to my house with the county I live in shown as AVON. :facepalm:

Who is it that supplies companies with databases that are so incredibly out of date? I've seen the stuff in action on line, fill out my postcode and house number and off it goes to find my address, and... yup, AVON.

Does the same thing happen in the West Midlands or in Wales, or up in the North East where I believe the Yorkshires and Rutland were messed about with by central Govt. What about Scotland, they have had a few county names changes over the years.

I blame the software companies, and hence the Americans, who don't even know how to pronounce the names Berkshire and Welwyn Garden City, let alone Nempnett Thrubwell.

NeilM":1yr1fy6s said:
Does the same thing happen in the West Midlands......
No, it's never happened to me but the West Midlands is 40 years old now (according to Wikipedia).

To be honest I prefer the old county names, it would have been Staffordshire where I live now, West Midlands just sounds so crap!

Re:

Ah well, another 21 years or so and the software will have caught up with UK county structure then.

Cor, the speed of technological change really makes your head spin.

Re:

Worse for us quite a bit further north than the southerners in Rutland.

Look up on the address lists East Yorkshire or East Riding of East Yorkshire and while eBay gets it right some still want to give Humberside, in fact that's a lie as most want to give North Humberside a county that never was. Never understood why they wanted to add North or South to the country but it is still in lists.

I've been known not to buy if they have that in this list. Yes I just believe if they don't care about getting the address right then they probably don't care about the rest of it.

And I'm one that was born in Humberside not the East Riding of East Yorkshire.

There are of course now North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire, small counties who all still have to talk together to get things done along the Humber.

Re:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who stands in his hallway, rebuking some poor unfortunate letter for containing in its address a county that has not existed for close to 20 years.

Re:

I think the pressure groups eventually had North and South Humberside removed/ from the royal mail automatic Postal Code Whatsit a year or so ago.

Alibaba was the recent one that had me use North Humberside, but they're Chinese iirc and know no better and they're cheap and can post thing for less from there than we can from here.

Re:

My latest offender is much closer to home, Demon Tweeks sent me a catalogue (no idea why, I have not raced cars for years) with the A word in the address, and hence this rant.

Thinking of ordering you a catalogue but would it push you over the edge?

Attachments

• just for neil.jpg
    just for neil.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 491
Back