The 199? GT Safety Bicycle

I dunno we could have the birth of a new genre.

Steampunk Retro !

A bit like this sort of thing.

steampunk-chopper.jpg

MADJEZ":2lnmev45 said:
PPS How did you do decals ? where they just printed onto sticky sheets (paper?) or something more hi-tech.
Bought some decal paper on fleabay, bought the white stuff but should have got the transparent stuff, would have turned out better. Still, lesson learned. :D

Initially started building it up with odds 'n ends sourced from the spares box and an enjoyable rake through the bins at the Bike Station (Edinburgh).

GT_partial-1.jpg

However, in keeping with the "safety bicycle" theme and in preparation for a MacRetro SS gathering last year* I simplified the drive train, using an old derailer as a chain tensioner and a bit of waste pipe as a spacer.

newhailes_03_webOpt-1.jpg

gt_safety_02-1.jpg

newhailes_05_webOpt-1.jpg

* Sadly didn't make it in the end.

Still a bit more to come...

It was called into action during the worst of the winter when the fixie was temporarily retired. Tyres were deflated and it performed admirably in the snow, following which it was left to rust in the corner of the bike store (much to my shame :cry:).

Finally dug it out yesterday, applied some TLC including chain, pedals and a proper chain tensioner:

gt_001.jpg

gt_002.jpg

gt_003.jpg

Excuse the arthouse shots, been playing with Vignette for Android. :D

Fingers crossed someone suggests another SS gathering soon. ;)

legrandefromage":3bw7pspc said:
thats pretty smart - am building a retro commuter using a zaskar frames so will blatantly nick a few ideas.
Feel free, post pics!

My new project is a MTB commuter/fixie. Just amassing the parts (spent an hour grubbing through parts drawers this morning at the Bike Station).

Not sure yet of a design yet...

Back