TDF Spectators

Class image, who is the Z rider?

Watching yeserday's stage sounded a bit like Froome was getting booed by some on the way up the mountain. Shame if so, never recall the home crowd having anything other than praise for the likes of Virenque.

:twisted:

BPiFCLpCEAAYW8D.jpg

Ha! My wife was getting pissed off at the spectators last night and said she would be trip the running idiots.

I like the crowds, the cheering, the costumes, etc. It's the people running and shoving things in the riders faces that make me mad and frustrated.

Excellent! Don't mess with that tripper's body guards, she looked to pretty handy in a corner. In that you could hide behind her at least!

doctor-bond":u8vkm376 said:
Here's a view that speaks of a simpler age ....

John":u8vkm376 said:
Class image, who is the Z rider?

The pic is not one of my own, so I don't know for sure; but I think it's Gilbert Duclos-Lassalle, who was more of a Spring classicist than a tour man.

I think it's 1991 with Lemond bike in red, yellow & blue, and Big Mig in yellow enjoying the drive-by goosing.

Attachments

• IMG_0517.JPG
    IMG_0517.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 323
the dutch rider going through the dutch corner in Kaiser's pic was number 161 bauke mollema (think that's spelt right) i was on the wall in the left of that pic but i had left before the second pass to go down to the irish corner, when bauke went through the first time he had the biggest smile on his face, he was with 2 team mates i think and they were loving it, i was a little surprised that they weren't closer to the riders, there was actually a 2 metre wide opening all the way through the section for all the riders.

generally although it looked quite bad, watching it from sitting on that wall didn't look too bad, and for the record the dutch corner is the busiest by far! when i climbed it on the previous monday loads of people were already there and the dutch were encouraging me and everyone else on the climb, they already had the dodgy euro rave music on aswel :LOL:

what i did hear when i went down to the irish corner was that there had been a full on fight between the french and irish because the richie porte flag thing happened somewhere near there and a fight broke out over it! :roll:

all in all i think the riders see it as mostly positive, and they know what to expect, and having had a little taste of the encouragement when i was climbing the mountain believe me it helps :D so on the scale they get it must be amazing.

but for the record, my view is stay well back and shout encouragement, froome, peter kennaugh and cav all looked straight at me when i shouted encouragement at them when i was below the irish corner as there were less people and they could here it. got some good pics as a result :D

one disappointment that i wasn't expecting was the boos and thumbs down from the dutch to team sky, and also team europcar, i'm on really slow wifi at a small hotel after leaving bourg d'osains this after noon so i'll upload some pics when i get home tomorrow to show you what i mean.

velomaniac":mdr5vu0f said:
The dutch rider would be used to that. Ever tried a bicycle rush hour commute in Amsterdam :shock:

Madness, I got hemmed in coming past Amsterdam Zoo, couldnt go left as I wanted, went right because it was that or a peleton pile up :facepalm:

Oddly enough , Yes
Pick a tram and slipstream it ;)

the guy mooning on Alpe D'Huez was taking an incredible chance there :shock: If one of the riders got bumped over a bit that guy could have skid scarring :LOL:

Back