take kids MTB - special child seat

without wanting to sound like an advert for the for LOCT, but the advantage of thier system is that the bar supporting the seat is telescopic so you can raise/lower your seat as fast as normal for riding and that the child isn't strapped in. I know that sounds odd, but as well as teaching them to ride properly (ie standing up on ruff stuff) it also means less force is transferred to the babys head and avoids shaken baby syndrome

I know £170 is a lot, but they were taking orders for £150 at the show and I'm sure you could get it for that and a decent trailer bike is pretty much that price (well 100-125 for the trek ones)

my younger one is only 17 months so I d prefer if he was strapped in .

and for £170 I build a retrobike . :LOL:

Not convinced on the shaken baby syndrome from a bike especially for a 2 year old minimum age, and I wouldn't let my child not be strapped in, he would wriggle free if he wanted to once something other than the ride distracted him.

I would be concerned about impact damage to his chin on landing a jump my kid wasn't prepared for, but I guess that is an age thing.

I use a floating type rear seat, which is fine for trails, if it is really rough I bungee strap it to my seatpost with locking carabinas which reduces the movement.

I bought it from halfords for £40 :shock: it is a rebranded Hamax. I do like the kangaroo seat but see no point in replacing the one I have as it has lasted 3 kids [7 years] and only has another 2 to go.

chris, what make is your tag along bar thing? How do you get on with it? stable and strong? Wondered whether they would be a bit slopp side to side if you know what I mean.

Also, are you back in the UK full time now?

Andy , I got mine from Decathlon . The good thing is that you can use it on a normal bike . Once set up it takes about 1min to install and remove , plus the stabilizers wheels . I just leave the brackets and my bike and his bike all the time .
It seems ok . I took it off road , no problems . It is very heavy though .
I Think it is called Trailgators .
Yes back in the uk full time . ;)

thanks Chris, good to get some first hand comments :) Think this could be whats needed for a ride longer than three times round the park :LOL:

Back