Swapping out Shimano 600 for DX/XT

Tsundere

Fat Chance Fan
Feedback
View
I'm renovating a Roberts that came with an eclectic drive trainset up, the chainset was a x1 Shimano 600 (no FD) and the rear mech was also a 600, the cassette is a 7 speed shimano hyperglide C (24t - 11t) on a DX hub, the wheelset I'm planning to use comes with the same hub and I'd like to re-use this cassette as the ratio is better for what I want to do with the bike than what I have.

I suppose what I'm wondering is can I use an M650 RD, an M732 FD and a x2 Middleburn RS2 with that cassette? And will there be any compatibility issues re chain etc?

Another thing, the cassette is supposed to have three pins or rivets to secure it (see pic), however it was fitted without these, should I look for some? Or will it be fine without? I've tried fitting it to the new hub and it all seems to sit nice and securely without them.
shimano hyper 7.JPG

It should all work fine. 7 and 8 speed stuff is all completely interchangeable. You don't need the 3 pins in the cassette. They are only there to make installation slightly easier and spread the load from the sprocket in use over a greater freehub spline area, but you don't need them at all, especially with standard Shimano freehubs.

Back