suspension corrected rigid fork convertion

philbr

Retro Newbie
I am not sur if my bike counts as retro or is it just old.

It is a 26inch wheel mtb and has disc breaks. Can anyone help me find a ridgid front fork that can replace the susspention fork. apparently a standard front fork is shorter and will drop the front end too much.

Im also on a very tight budget so a low cost option is needed

any help would be greatly appreciated

What frame is it?

Rigid forks come in various lengths to fit various era frames.

Ideally you should be looking for a 445mm fork to match the 100mm suss fork you took off.

Yes that is right.

I have found a few steel forks of this size but they are for higher end bikes and are priced £100-150.

I found on at 417mm on ali express that might work but I would like to find one closer to the 445mm of the original fork

Dart was 454mm ATC.
Remove 25mm for sag and you get 429mm. (20 to 30% of fork travel is correct sag)

Your 417mm is damn close to correct for your frame. 445mm would be fine for a 120mm fork.

Dart was 454mm ATC.
Remove 25mm for sag and you get 429mm. (20 to 30% of fork travel is correct sag)

Your 417mm is damn close to correct for your frame. 445mm would be fine for a 120mm fork.

Yes. I was measuring the forks unloaded and did not think to allow for sag

Longer rigid forks are 'suspension corrected' and take sag into account.

Most manufacturers list the 425mm for 80mm travel forks, the 445mm for 100mm travel forks and the 460 something for 130mm travel and 29ers.

Of course, not all manufacturers are equal.

i got an alloy rigid fork for my 26 inch commuter off of ebay from airbikes.co.uk

its designed for a 27.5 inch wheel and matches the length of the 80mm RST forks that i use to have on it.

it does the job but i find that the alloy forks creak alot for some unknown reason.

Back