Suntour XC Pro Freewheel/Cassette removal

meyekel

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, I just picked up an XC Pro group locally and wanted to remove the cassette to give it a good clean and such. I can't see any cassette style lockring or the 2/4 type lockring either. Any Suntour experts that can guide me through without mangling the hub? Thanks, Mike

Harryburgundy":njndjtgp said:
cchris2lou":njndjtgp said:
smallest sprocket must be the lockring , you might need two chain wips .

Or 6 chain whips...the other 4 will break as you try to undo the buggers

Sweet, looking forward to breaking 4 whips or thrashing the cassette. :roll: Thanks for the info guys.

if it's microdrive (smallest sprocket being an 11 tooth) then the second smallest sprocket is the lockring (the 11t threads onto the 12t, 12t holds on the others) – a word of caution though. If it's all been together for a long time then it'll be a buggers muddle trying to take it off as the things jut keep getting tightened when riding in the small sprockets.

The freehub is held on with a bolt through, a bit like shimano's, but if I recall correctly the bolt head is accessed from the other side of the hub (inside the hub rather than outside (at least this was the case on my XC-comps)

Hope this helps

Crayons":14d41pgr said:
if it's microdrive (smallest sprocket being an 11 tooth) then the second smallest sprocket is the lockring (the 11t threads onto the 12t, 12t holds on the others) – a word of caution though. If it's all been together for a long time then it'll be a buggers muddle trying to take it off as the things jut keep getting tightened when riding in the small sprockets.

The freehub is held on with a bolt through, a bit like shimano's, but if I recall correctly the bolt head is accessed from the other side of the hub (inside the hub rather than outside (at least this was the case on my XC-comps)

Absolutely correct, saves me typing it out :D

One thing though, on a lot of SunTour freehubs the freehub body was NOT removable from the hub shell; you had to trash the hub and build a new wheel when they wore out. Not sure if this was ever the case with any of the MicroDrive models though.

If you're really stuck, what might work is getting the arms of the two chainwhips roughly parallel and then very slowly pushing them together with something like the jaws of a Workmate bench or one of those ratcheted tightening strap things.

I don't think I ever ultimately failed to loosen a SunTour top cog, but some of them were bl**dy hard work... and I wasn't a heavy rider back when I was on SunTour kit so perhaps my top cogs weren't quite so stuck on as yours might be. Certainly easier than getting a screw-on freewheel of a hub, which was always a tool-in-the-vice-and-turn-the-wheel job for me.

Let us know how you get on.

Dr. Matt...

Back