Sorted Suntour XC pro 1" headset NOS/VGC please.

boy"O"boy

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all.
I'm after the final piece of the parts Jigsaw needed to complete my XC pro/ Off road Pro-flex build.
I've missed out on 3 NOS ones now - either wasn't quick enough on the bids or the shop stock inventory didn't match what they'd sold.
This is obviously a hard to find part so I'm prepared to pay good money for NOS / VGC
(The current eBay used one is a bit battered for my needs)

I also have a VGC 35.0mm XC pro front mech
or an XC pro brake set (SE rear/ normal front) for trades if preferred.

Here's a pic. MUST BE A 1" SIZE!!
Screenshot_20230824-114319~2.png

Screenshot_20230824-114345~2.png
Thanks in advance

boy"O"boy

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You probably won't run into this problem de facto, but you know there are variations on the 1" headset right?

1990:
1694438587176.png

1991:
1694439008912.png

1992/3:
1694438947839.png

This one has popped up on eBay, looks like it'll clean up OK. Not cheap though.

Thanks for the heads-up Pete.
That's a bit battered for what they are asking.
The last one at that price was NOS....so I'll give that one a miss.

Cheers.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You probably won't run into this problem de facto, but you know there are variations on the 1" headset right?

1990:
View attachment 777410

1991:
View attachment 777412

1992/3:
View attachment 777411

Thanks @DoctorRad
I was unaware of that.... thanks for bringing it to my attention!
The lower of the steerer on my True Temper forks measures 26.4mm so I take it I need the English/Italian type?
Apart from 0.6mm of play in the JIS lower cone, would there be any other disadvantages in using this with my fork? Both options are 24 TPi....and 0.2mm on the upper is marginal. The frame is 1990.

Cheers for the specs. That's a helpful guide.

boy"O"boy

Thanks @DoctorRad
The lower of the steerer on my True Temper forks measures 26.4mm so I take it I need the English/Italian type?
Apart from 0.6mm of play in the JIS lower cone, would there be any other disadvantages in using this with my fork? Both options are 24 TPi....and 0.2mm on the upper is marginal. The frame is 1990.
I've never actually used either variant of the 1" headset, only the 1-1/8" of which I have a couple. I would imagine that if you got a JIS variant, the 0.6mm would be enough to make the crown race (=Lower Cone) loose on the fork crown, but either it could be shimmed with foil and/or it will matter little once the headset is tightened... trying to work out in my head if it would cause the headset to loosen in use, though.

The other way around… well, according to Sheldon Brown, JIS crowns can be milled to the ISO standard, but I think it would be better to get the crown race milled out personally…

Back