Stunning Classic Colnago Super with Extra Chrome

The shield logo sticker on the d/t tube is hopefully not under a clear coat of lacquer, but that pair of bottle bosses on seat tube is an almost irreparable mistake.

American Friend":2va32xr7 said:
The shield logo sticker on the d/t tube is hopefully not under a clear coat of lacquer, but that pair of bottle bosses on seat tube is an almost irreparable mistake.

why would it be bad if the logo sticker is under a clear coat?
Care to enlighten this ignorant newbie? ^_^ always thought having another pair of bottle bosses is a good idea, no?

mihajaru":2gx3ki23 said:
American Friend":2gx3ki23 said:

Care to enlighten this ignorant newbie? ^_^ always thought having another pair of bottle bosses is a good idea, no?

To alter a collectible frame, well, diminishes the collectibility. The idea being that the bike should be left in as close to original state as possible. Those bosses could be removed and the holes filled, but it would cost money and require a partial refinish. Colnagos of this era are pretty common so maybe not such a terrible sin and it does make the bike more useful on long rides.

Steven

Looks like a '77 or '78 Super so the Saronni red with white panels also not correct...

For reference is my Super from the same era with original finish. (though the parts are a bit of a mash up)

Attachments

• Colnago Super 1 web .jpg
    Colnago Super 1 web .jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 367
ahh that makes sense. Still looks good though, no? ^_^ pretty sure only a purist will notice all these things in the real world.

mihajaru":jpkv9m08 said:
American Friend":jpkv9m08 said:

Hi, to answer your questions, it would be unfortunate to clear coat over stickers that are from the wrong period as someone has done here. Not sure about the white panels, but the shield logo is definitely wrong. As for the rivnut bottle bosses that were also added later on by somebody, they are practical (if fitted properly) but are also not period correct. This is, however, a beautifully refinished frame.

American Friend":188ff3lp said:
mihajaru":188ff3lp said:
American Friend":188ff3lp said:

Hi, to answer your questions, it would be unfortunate to clear coat over stickers that are from the wrong period as someone has done here. Not sure about the white panels, but the shield logo is definitely wrong. As for the rivnut bottle bosses that were also added later on by somebody, they are practical (if fitted properly) but are also not period correct. This is, however, a beautifully refinished frame.

it does look nice, doesn't it? Would love to have a Colnago someday...

Yes, it looks lovely. They're quite common and easy to find. Personally, I prefer unrestored bikes, and not just for aesthetic reasons. It's easier to tell the true condition of a frame in its original state.

I once saw a 1974 Colnago Super that had been beautifully restored as Molteni right down to the Merckx stickers on the down tube. I can't find it on the seller's website anymore, but I see he has this gorgeous 1978 Colnago Super with a very special sticker on the down tube :facepalm:
http://www.eroicacicli.com/blog/a-special-touch/

Do you reckon this is a good buy? I'm thinking of buying one of his super which is pretty much teh same as this one, just bigger.

Back