..STOP PRESS..Retrobike saves bikers from long gaol terms...

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well forgive me if everyone knows this...

In january 2021 it will be illegal to scrap bicycle tyres in the UK, to ensure no bike tyres go to landfill or are exported to other countries. This means that the endless retention of ancient rubber by retrobikers and the constant recirculation of faded and unrideable tyres through 'for sale' post on here will be the saving of many a silver-haired cyclist.

https://cyclingindustry.news/uk-to-make ... s-illegal/

Velorim has set up a recycling scheme (well done them) and I expect their workers will make a small fortune in picking out white porcs from their recycling shipments or better still MAKE THE WHITE PORC MARKET COLLAPSE.... HURRAH!

So, what your saying is chuck the festering rubber, before the local tip stops taking them or starts charging to throw them in. No surprise there....my local tip is now run by ferengi, ie, no profit, no take.

As for inner tubes...i use old ones to support new trees in my garden.....much cheaper than those rubber things garden centres sell.

Re:

Nice re-use. In 50 years of cycling I don't think I have EVER thrown away in inner tube -they are always useful for something.....

Tyres however are a different story - plenty worn out even to the point of worn holes - including in the 1990s a white PORC 1 I left in the garden by mistake one winter. Went all green and since they were such rubbish tyres when I found it in the spring I didn't even think twice about binning it. Sigh.

Back