Steve Peats 1993 kona hei hei

Re:

Love this bike :cool:

Should keep in mind that this is the model with the stumpy seat tube as pictured in the '95 catalogue and not the '93 or '94 catalogues although it is sporting '94 decals.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... atalogues/

If I recall correctly the following vid came out around the same time as the magazine article. Some revealing glimpses of the Hei Hei in Peaty's attic. (Fir rims?, red ti glide rear hub)

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features ... /sspomer,2

Looks to be a more common steel version of the Velocity stem as well (still with the elusive rubber bung)

Thanks Canuk, video is just what I need.

you guys can guess where this thread is heading.... Plan to try and make a replica of his bike. As of now I have

hubs, chain tensioner, forks, Hope disk, XTR bits gripshift. So still a bunch of bits to go but this is a long term project that was meant to be a little difficult to source parts.

If I was looking for a frame then I am guessing I need a 1995 frame with 1994 decals?

Re: Re:

Thanks, I have a set of XC500 in transit. Will let you know if these don't pan out.

66 triumph daytona":64kf7lu5 said:
I know a guy selling a set of xc 700 forks,need a full service but would scrub up well.

fitzroybikeco":26yvppf3 said:
you guys can guess where this thread is heading.... Plan to try and make a replica of his bike.

Awesome :cool: Best of luck with it, look forward to see the end result

fitzroybikeco":26yvppf3 said:
If I was looking for a frame then I am guessing I need a 1995 frame with 1994 decals?

From what I've seen the Hei Hei with the short seat tube extension was available '94 - '95. The Hei Hei with the more typical Kona style (longer seat tube extension) was also available during this time however I have yet to find any documentation explaining why Kona released two different versions and why they weren't both listed in each catalogue year seperately. Then came the '96 version, also with the short seat tube extension, however it had the upgraded rear triangle so different from the '94/'95 versions.
Steve claims his Hei Hei is a '93 however I suspect it is more likely a '94, perhaps acquired some time in '93 when they would have first been released. Just my theory anyways. I have the exact same frame (but smaller) with the '94 decals (what's left of them) which is a confirmed '94.

Slowly getting a few parts together. Still have a question mark on the rims.

Given that the following year he was on FIR rims with basically the same sponsors I am guessing that his rims are FIR of some kind.

20111-05407-02a.jpg

Any ideas on what the FIR rims might be?

Back