State of the industry: a running thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan

I'm not one to suggest stockpiling but you might want to consider it if Wiggle and Chain Reaction go down the Evans path. This can't be good news for a lot of distributors.

Nukeproof have already laid off a lot of staff but I suspect they'll be bought up since it's a a strong brand.

What a mess.

So this is SigNa Sports, something completely different from the SigMa Sports shop. And being bigger it's much worse. We probably all remember when they were scrappy retailers - and phoning though orders to somebody with a lovely Ulster accent after seeing the price list in MBUK.

This always seems to happen. Big company snaps up a company, then folds, taking the smaller companies who have been long established with it. Which are sold off to someone else, and any company that hasnt a strong brand is sacrificed.

This is akin the the asset strippers of the 90's

I don't think even the fat man from Newcastle will be interested in this given the levels of debt. Proper trouble ahead here.

I'm not one to suggest stockpiling but you might want to consider it if Wiggle and Chain Reaction go down the Evans path. This can't be good news for a lot of distributors.

Nukeproof have already laid off a lot of staff but I suspect they'll be bought up since it's a a strong brand.

What a mess.

Stockpiling what?

CRC/wiggle are barely competitive on price these days.

Stockpiling what?

CRC/wiggle are barely competitive on price these days.

Well, that's for you to determine. Wiggle/CRC are distributors as well as retail, so in the event things go awry and their stock is sold, after that, who's gonna fill the void? Speculative I know.

Well, that's for you to determine. Wiggle/CRC are distributors as well as retail, so in the event things go awry and their stock is sold, after that, who's gonna fill the void? Speculative I know.

Quite. Apart from eBay, and sometimes Amazon/Aliexpress/Tredz - there's really no-one else I use. Although, admittedly I'm not buying much.

whatever comes next, it will unlikely be UK based and not a cat in hell's it will be UK owned. We committed hari kari and the leisure industries are the first to pay the price. there is no bail out unlike for other industries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back