SRAM 8sp joining links

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So I've been putting a bike together for a mate. Bought a cheap Marin and have set about a full strip and rebuild, replacing and upgrading bits from my stash to improve it where needed.

I've just finished cabling it up and unboxed a brand new 8sp SRAM chain which says on the outside "silver joining link included" or words to that effect. However, no joining links inside. It was sealed so I'm a bit gutted as I'd hoped to finish it today and hand it back.

Annoyed!!!

Can I, should I split and rejoin the chain without the quick links or is this a bad idea on an SRAM chain? Hoping my lbs has some kicking about but they seem very expensive to buy on their own. The chain was £22 and iirc when I last bought some from my lbs, they were about a tenner.

Wish I'd kept the links form the chain the bike came with but binned it as it was rusty and assumed I had some inside the new chain box.

Grrrrrr

I've split and rejoined an 8 speed SRAM chain before (PC870, I think) and used the bike with no issue whatsoever. IIRC (1) the quick link was faulty so I was in the same position as you; (2) you are not supposed to use the quick links more than once; (3) it was a bit more stiff to rejoin than some, so a half-decent, or better, chain tool is advised.

Joining link is sometimes in a wee plastic packet or sometimes loose on the end of the chain.

Quick links up to 10 speed are fine to reuse. After that they are a one time thing.
You don’t have any of the special Shimano pins with the break off end do you? They can be used on SRAM chains no bother.
KMC quick links are usually available a lot cheaper and are what I use on my retro builds. Two pack on eBay for £3-4. Well worth having a spare in your ride kit. Never used it myself but saved a few other peoples ride in the past.

You can use the traditional joining method but the chain won’t be as strong. How hard is your mate likely to ride? Problem is that modern chains tend to have flared pins so when they are pushed out the hole is bigger and the chain never really fits properly again. If your mate isn’t mechanically minded the chances are he won’t notice the signs of it going and could have a big off. Not worth the risk for the sake of the price of a coffee IMO.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Fortunately had a spare 9sp chain I could use, but annoying the link is not in the 8sp box.

Back