Square taper BB's

Radar":p76o5e7m said:
UN7* bbs are still made - just not imported into the UK.

Thanks for that...I'll have to look next time I'm on a business trip. As a tandemist I tend to get through BBs a bit quicker than most... :shock:

hamster":ghzi3pmo said:
Radar":ghzi3pmo said:
UN7* bbs are still made - just not imported into the UK.
Thanks for that...I'll have to look next time I'm on a business trip. As a tandemist I tend to get through BBs a bit quicker than most... :shock:
UN74s were never imported to the UK, but you used to be able to get them in the US. But that was a while back and now neither Cambria nor Speedgoat stocks them, so I wonder whether Shimano are in fact still making them.

If its of any interest - the UN72 fitted to my Zaskar has covered some 60,000 miles from new and has been underwater numerous times.

Its still buttery smooth.

The buttery smooth UN90 BottomBracket fitted to my bike has had plenty of hard hammering, water etc. and it's still fitted, not even bothered to take it out on the big clean up.

I spashed out on a ti square taper bb (First is the make, can't say I'd heard of them) for my Airborne Lancaster's Race Face Next LP cranks & just noticed that there's play in the (non replaceable) bearings. Couple more rides & it's scrap. 18 months old at most. Back to UN 7 series for me. 80 grams or so heavier but should last years. The 122mm axle UN71's in our old Treks are still smooth after more than a decade. Amazing.

i'm running a RF taperlock. bearings are about £5 a pop and replacable. pimpy ano cups too

UN's, generally great for the money. .
-syncros and similar ti designs that try and put a sideload on the bearings, great but creaky, and at least rebuildable,
-Real designs, pap, and a PITA to install,
-Bullseye, we won't really go there,
-Cook Bros, fantastic. . but the stainless bearings are a 'special' imperial/ metric combination, but they also share BB spindles with KLein I understand, but can't vouch. .

iirc UN's do not actually use cartridge type bearing like in hubs, headsets etc. They are actually either loose or caged, I cannot remember which but assume caged. But the whole thing is the 'cartridge & seal' I remember seeing something/one/place taking them apart to service them ... cannot remember where now.

Newer UN's may have changed though.

FluffyChicken":nuixlgte said:
iirc UN's do not actually use cartridge type bearing like in hubs, headsets etc. They are actually either loose or caged, I cannot remember which but assume caged. But the whole thing is the 'cartridge & seal' I remember seeing something/one/place taking them apart to service them ... cannot remember where now.

Newer UN's may have changed though.

Are you sure you're not confusing the normal un's with the rebuildable xtr one seen here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... hlight=xtr ?

If not I would be very interested in how you get one apart.

err yes or no :?

I'm sure it was not, as I've never seen that post or the pictures before. Almost sure it was the standard UN type.

As to how it was pulled apart and or if it was put back together and worked I do not remember, just something in the back of my memory.

But they where just normal bearings inside, not cartridges.

Back