Spoke lengths..

davecara

Cannondale Fan
Feedback
View
Probably been dscussed to death but hey ho!
Ive looked at a couple of online calculators and they saying 265/265.8 length spokes both sides front AND rear. Its been a minute since I worked in a bike shop (circa 1996!) but drive side rears were always shorter but this was well before disc hubs were commonplace.
Anyhoo,
Hope TiGlide Disc hubs F and R with Sun Mammoths 32H if anyone can help out!
Standard spacing etc, none of this boost or thru axle nonsense!

Did you set your hub offsets correctly?
Probaby not, I've laced up 100's of wheels when i was a scivvy at the lbs, but i was handed hub/rims/spokes and went from there so I'm flying blind a bit
I'm going to dismantle a pair of 700c wheels Ive got to re-use the hubs as theyre immaculate and weren't selling so may as well use them as theyre period correct for the bike! I'll get on that this evening after the small people have gone to bed and get to measuring everything

Last edited:
@dbwheels the ERD looks correct on my rims to the website, would 266mm spokes work for me then or would you advise getting 266 AND 267mm spokes?

@dbwheels the ERD looks correct on my rims to the website, would 266mm spokes work for me then or would you advise getting 266 AND 267mm spokes?
I would be comfortable going with 266mm spokes throughout. Are you using brass nipples?
If you are using the 15g spokes that you mentioned in another post, they will tend to wind up as they are tensioned. Make sure to lubricate the spoke threads before building and destress the wheel as you go to minimize the effects of wind up.

Last edited:
I hadnt got that far yet to be honest. Would you recommend brass over anodised alu ones?
If using brass nipples, the spoke length can be slightly out.
If spokes are too short in an alloy nipple, the head may fracture at the shoulder.

Back