Specialized Hard Rock and Altai travel

Hargee

Retro Newbie
Hi friends !
My name is Sergey , I'm from Russia . Perhaps some of you have even heard the word Siberia and Altai .
Altai Mountains - the highest in Siberia, located where the borders of Russia , Mongolia, China and Kazakhstan. It is a lovely place : clean air , pine forests, dizzying cliffs, nothing better could be imagined for a cyclist ! I was lucky enough to live there for some amount of time to visit not one cycling trip , one of which I want to tell you . It all started with the fact that in Barnaul I bought this beautiful bike , namely , Specialized Hard Rock, the year of his release from the past owner failed to learn .

The purchase has been truly successful for 5000 rubles, equivalent to 150 dollars! Total $ 150 for this beautiful bike! I was a bit surprised by this, but I was all arranged :) His condition was very good, paint places spoiled, front derailleur bracket scuffed chain. In general - everything is fine. After minor repairs and equipment trunk bike was ready for long-distance travel.

In the journey , the route of which was 450 kilometers of roads with different surface from pure asphalt to dirt and impassable dirt forest road , I went alone , taking only what you need . Tent, sleeping bag , extra clothes , drove it all my good friend and helper spec. On our way we overcame four mountain passes , the highest of them , Seminsky is 1900 meters above sea level , 7 kilometers of ascent and descent of 11 kilometers . The remaining lower 3 , but not more complex ! Here are their names: Kukuinsky pass Mariinsky and Yabogansky ( last we overcame during the night) . Bike, despite its age coped well with all the complexities , once I changed the camera and sewed the torn tire.
1fidmp.jpg

Night before start
28us412.jpg

Good asphalt road
2afedna.jpg

Mountain pass Kukui, dirt road, climbing 3 km
14x0a6f.jpg

The descent from the mountain pass Kukui, runs 3 kilometers
inh8hu.jpg

Flock of sheep grazing on a hill
2hyhz50.jpg

2q3dead.jpg

It looks like my first night near the village Ilyinka. During the first day I got over about 80 kilometers
16bk4cn.jpg

View from the tent. You can see the wheel of the bicycle he sleeps inside: D
zso4fr.jpg

Mountain pass Mariinsk
34q5yiq.jpg

nearing the top of the pass
30jmkop.jpg

Bike on top. Becomes damp and cold, bad road, a lot of dirt, the brakes do not work well
wwgg76.jpg

A small hamlet on the banks of the river
2hfp0ns.jpg

The second stop near the village of Karakol.
34rhis8.jpg

Snowy peaks in the midst of a hot summer. Becoming higher and higher
6yjn91.jpg

Reflection of my bike in the window of the village shop. Closed: shock:
730088.jpg

Rise to a conditional goal of his journey: the waterfalls on the River Chinook. Big fir tree
1zccpwl.jpg

Hut in the forest hunter. I have to spend the night in this place
2hyw5d2.jpg

In the cedar was hit by lightning
oqzpzm.jpg

On the way to the waterfall crossing fording a shallow river
2cid3sx.jpg

fog
idvkwp.jpg

1zz3wvk.jpg

ib98hz.jpg

wmm1y1.jpg

Specialized good friend
21ep1xu.jpg

Waterfall on the River Chinook. A place where I wanted to get 150 miles from my home
2usdge0.jpg

Waterfall Chinook
2zxwq2s.jpg

Stay overnight in the hut of the hunter. At the entrance is a carbine, the dog was very good
4r829d.jpg

Hut inside.Very low ceiling. Full-length can not stand
2ro5ftf.jpg

Hunter Roman, sheltered me for the night. Prepares delicious mutton soup, gave me a huge bag of cookies on the road
1z5p1ls.jpg

road timber
2vl7k0p.jpg

30t30xg.jpg

Monument died in a car accident on the place
hwkaq8.jpg

The first hole. The rear wheel is punctured with a sharp stone, sew tire thread kapron
10pc0ig.jpg

more details
23rl5qr.jpg

Charging the phone. Communication is only in settlements
2pry650.jpg

On the way back, the landscape changes dramatically
2lseltz.jpg

Freedom!!
ja96rb.jpg

Evening photo of snowy peaks before an overnight trip. Ahead pass Yabogan
20r2ump.jpg

Ascent to the mountain pass Yabogan. Bottom left town Yabogan next 40 kilometers
2e51md4.jpg

Snow on the mountain pass Seminsky. Cool and invigorating
21cbin6.jpg

I roll in the snow. tired
2n72o1k.jpg

Stella at Seminsky mountain pass.

Follow kilometers I almost did not take photos, very tired and wanted to get home quickly. The journey was somewhat difficult physically, but very impressive. I hope you liked the photos, if I knew English, then told more. Ask questions, try to answer them. Well, there is Google translator! : lol:

P.S
257f59f.jpg

Specialized Hard Rock
zuqqa0.jpg

11ict4p.jpg

Brilliant, what great pics and adventure, there's something about a loaded bike that just looks like it means business.

And what a great bike, any bike that gives you an adventure like that beats some 2 grand 'rig' for a weekend trailcentre run.

M-Power":ix34bqs6 said:
Agree. This is what its all about. Respect for sewing up the tyre too ;)

True that, and we'll get threads on here re: tyre side walls holding up.

Just goes to show, ride em, you'll find out 200 miles in.

Respect.

Thanks for posting this, enjoyed the comments, and looks epic.

Fantastic pics, too.

Hi Sergey,

What a beautiful country! Not much traffic, perfect for cyclists. Camping is a bit scary, with wolves and bears around.

Do you live in Barnaul then, or did you travel there from another part of Russia?

Cheers,
Andrew

Back