Specialized ground control tanwall

Do we have any recommendations for side wall cleaning? I’ve heard of people using baby wipes…Not tried this method myself.
Last time I did a skin wall I used washing soap and a nail brush …not sure id use this method again as the mail brush bristles are a bit abrasive on a skin wall.

Last edited:
Yes, they are unmatched tread and size. The seller didn't have much information. I thought I had taken pictures before putting them away, but all I can find is that one from the listing.

The Team Control is the front, the Team Master the rear. These do look like 1996 Stumpjumper tyres which were these different widths and front/rear specific treads. In 1995 Specialized were still providing grey tanwall Umma Gummas, by 1997 they had moved off black tanwall to all black with thin yellow stripe

1688417041657.png

Last edited:
Here's a Hardrock'r tyre from around 1994... These are much lower quality, almost plastic tread and the sidewalls aren't great. 1687952274978.jpg

Do we have any recommendations for side wall cleaning? I’ve heard of people using baby wipes…Not tried this method myself.
Last time I did a skin wall I used washing soap and a nail brush …not sure id use this method again as the mail brush bristles are a bit tough on a skin wall.
I've not had any success with any product. Brake dust is a tough opponent.

The Team Control is the front, the Team Master the rear
Excellent information, thanks. Modern wisdom has it the other way, the master is 2.1, and bigger is supposed to go in front because of roll over, but it's only 1 mm, and to my eye, the tread pattern of the Master is all about acceleration.

Excellent information, thanks. Modern wisdom has it the other way, the master is 2.1, and bigger is supposed to go in front because of roll over, but it's only 1 mm, and to my eye, the tread pattern of the Master is all about acceleration.
What a coincidence, I was asking the same question yesterday Matti after placing an eBay order for the same tires/sizes (price was very reasonable).

I too though wider should be front, odd that the master is designed to be the rear and is 2.1 and the control only 2.0. I believe that is how I will run them though reversing I’m sure would work just fine.

My eBay post has quite a few good pic’s that may help with further consideration (sidewall shot proceeds tread pattern):

s-l1600 (02).jpeg
s-l1600 (06).jpeg
s-l1600 (07).jpeg
s-l1600 (11).jpeg

Back