Specialized ground control tanwall

It is well preserved. As to the age. I want to say 1994-1995 and could be as !ate as 96?
Would be nice to know :) could make a pair!
The other tyre pictured is made from lead and exists merely as a prop for illusion purposes...

Last edited:
These came fitted to my 94 Rockhopper. I was told they were the original tyres. Sadly, not in as good condition as yours 🤔

IIRC, these came stock on the 94' Stumpjumpers too. I bought from the original owner a few years ago, a 1994 M2 FS and these tires were still on the bike. Oh, also my 1992 S-Works Team has these tires. IIRC 1993 S-Works bikes had these also.

In 94 and 95 all Stumpjumpers would have had grey UmmaGummas on ; RockHoppers from those years would have had black tyres, usually a mixed front & back combo. In 96 the Stumpjumpers returned to black tyres but were not Ground Controls, usually a Team Control/ Team Master pairing.

The label on yours seems correct for a 94-96 era Rockhopper tyre.

Last edited:
The thread block/pattern are different for each tire? Hard to tell in your photo. Looks like one is a 2.0 and the other a 2.1?
Yes, they are unmatched tread and size. The seller didn't have much information. I thought I had taken pictures before putting them away, but all I can find is that one from the listing.

Back