Source for real brakes lever shims?

H@l9000

Dirt Disciple
I am certain I could hand make a replacement shim for this lever, but what a pain.... Does anyone have a suggestion for where I could find a suitable replacement?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20230724_140008521.jpg
    IMG_20230724_140008521.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20230724_140018198.jpg
    IMG_20230724_140018198.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 31
Btw, sorry as always for the lousy pics. One of the cable shims is missing even though it doesn't look like it

I think it's the half moon shaped plastic bit as the real levers have 2 locating holes for cable end. I needed one once, I think I resorted to making one from a bit of plastic.

Yep, that's the piece I'm talking about. I was really hoping it was a common or similar part to other levers that might be easily available.... At least I have one to use as a template!

drill a 6mm hole in a bit of teflon (you could be fancy and use aluminium but it seems somewhat excessive)
use the plug cutter overlapping said hole to get a perfect shim.
make 1000 of them for shits and giggles.

:)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
you could take another cable, cut the end off and file a bite out of it. :)

if we aren't going to make something near identical to the original then screw it. :)

or you could just fill the hole with lead. :)

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. My shop setup is good enough that I'll be able to make something close to the original with a bit of effort. I just figured I'd see if I could buy one instead of spending an hour or three of my non existent free time.

I appreciate all of the ideas. Trying to keep things on this bike as original as I can reasonably manage.

Back