Some interesting threads about cantilvers!

Neil":1z7s1juz said:
DeeEight":1z7s1juz said:
I know this is reviving a 2.5 year old thread but I found it by accident while trying to find something i wrote on the usenet forums 16 years ago... and found someone had quoted my entire brake FAQ without actually credited my website...

so, that FAQ on page 1 in the third or fourth post, that was me.
Is it a quote of a usenet post, though, or a quote from your website?

If the former - surely it's fair game?

It is good form to tip a nod at least. Allows those who find something informative to go back to the original author for more; though a quick Google usually does the trick.

Anyway, without risking too much I would say that 80% of the time a decent set of vees laughs at 80% of other cantis.

It was an evolution of design that worked well, and if that was not the case it would not have happened. The marketing people didn't have the clout back in the day to override the usual method of checking out new tech, "Hey, you have those new vees, how do they ride?"

Without a moment's thought those of us who tried them would have gone back to ordinary cantis had there not been a noticeable improvement in effectiveness and, admittedly, convenience.

highlandsflyer":2nf42pj9 said:
Neil":2nf42pj9 said:
DeeEight":2nf42pj9 said:
I know this is reviving a 2.5 year old thread but I found it by accident while trying to find something i wrote on the usenet forums 16 years ago... and found someone had quoted my entire brake FAQ without actually credited my website...

Is it a quote of a usenet post, though, or a quote from your website?

If the former - surely it's fair game?
It is good form to tip a nod at least. Allows those who find something informative to go back to the original author for more; though a quick Google usually does the trick.
You miss my point - if it's a usenet post, it is fair game - as often websites themselves, use usenet posts and newsgroups as feeds in forums, automagically - plus, in posting to usenet, you are essentially, writing stuff in a public place (even more public than a website or forum, because usenet is hosted in a distributed manner).
highlandsflyer":2nf42pj9 said:
Anyway, without risking too much I would say that 80% of the time a decent set of vees laughs at 80% of other cantis.

It was an evolution of design that worked well, and if that was not the case it would not have happened. The marketing people didn't have the clout back in the day to override the usual method of checking out new tech, "Hey, you have those new vees, how do they ride?"

Without a moment's thought those of us who tried them would have gone back to ordinary cantis had there not been a noticeable improvement in effectiveness and, admittedly, convenience.
I've never read any convincing account of an inherent improvement in effectiveness of the solution - merely an easier to accomplish, optimum setting - or perhaps more likely, an awful lot less likelihood of fvckwittedness by people setting them up.

Cantis do tend to be more complex - and you've only to see pictures, here, from enthusiasts you'd expect to know better, with them setup awfully - then people bemoaning them being ineffective, or not as good as Vs. Most of the time, it's total guff.

Cantis are more difficult to setup - true enough - but setup decently, are probably just as effective as Vs. But like all good things, Cantis self-select.

There is one inherent disadvantage with cantis compared to V's, and that is that they move the cable less and so require a higher cable tension. This in turn gives more frictional losses in the cable path and squeezes the outer more. Result: less force at the far end where the braking action takes place.

I'm hamster, and yes I admit it, I'm an engineer. Glad to get it off my chest.

Shall we rename this group EA: Engineers Anonymous? :oops:

DeeEight":r9bqkvkp said:

Amended and many thanks for your information, nice to get perception from way back when.

I think at the time of my post it was a copy I had on my drive (in notepad) So cut&pasted it from there, so had no website reference.
Having trouble finding your site now.

Edit/ got link now, google wouldn't pick any of the text up, so search this forum as I know I had posted it many times for other things including MAG forks
http://206.75.155.18/kmr/tech.html

Neil":l0x1j3oz said:
Cantis do tend to be more complex - and you've only to see pictures, here, from enthusiasts you'd expect to know better, with them setup awfully - then people bemoaning them being ineffective, or not as good as Vs. Most of the time, it's total guff.

very true!

cantis can be nice when well tuned etc, but good (quality) and better setuped (yes they need it too) v's are always better than cantis.
Its not uber retro cool to say it, but its the awfull truth.
Anyways, cantis last longer;P
My XT V's from 97 still work flawlessly, but i reckon they were trouble for many.

Interesting. IMHO "mushy" feeling of rim brakes seems mainly due to:

- big fat rubbery brake pads that compress, typically stock on cantis, but never stock on V-brakes. Duh.
- frame and fork flex. One of these things to live with, unless you buy into brake boosters.

It seems people moan about cantis due to mushy feeling and lack of response, and in my experience they are plenty good enough when set-up reasonably OK. I don't understand the dissmissle of the Shimano canti-stradle in this post at all.

Next build I'm going to try mini-Vs and some retro Tektro MT1.0 levers on canti-mode for something a bit different.

I've noticed mixing and matching between manufactures is seldom successfull. That's just my experience.

PS: I faff with any brake type....and I'm a Engineer.

t-stoff":je7t9xcy said:
cantis can be nice when well tuned etc, but good (quality) and better setuped (yes they need it too) v's are always better than cantis.
"Ah, would that it were, would that it were."

I love canti', even though I have to pull the lever with more force. Not a problem though. It a shame decent canti pads are only made by a select few these days.

Neil":2l16v4c4 said:
t-stoff":2l16v4c4 said:
"Ah, would that it were, would that it were."

lol ;p
Well, I have no intention on agreeing just because everyone says so, this is my opinion based on the fact that I've only had cantis and v's through out this 20 something years of riding. But hey, I respect those who keep them as their main stopping tool.

Back