SOLD Rowland Wheels: Mavic X517 CD Ceramic/DT Hugi 240

OldFatTi

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
SOLD and off to Germany!

Loads of pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/76692081@N ... 604458257/

For sale are my Sunday best wheels, expertly Built by the best wheelbuilder in the South of England, Mr Harry Rowland.

All black

All parts were brand new at build and have to date only covered 60 dry and light road/off-road miles so everything is in excellent order and condition. They have of course been used so there are some light marks but this is as about as close to new as you will find for a pair of MTB wheels!

DT Swiss Hugi 240 hubs in black. Lighter than Chris King with a stronger ratchet drive than Kings too. Some say the DT is a better hub than the King, and having owned both I'd say DT are at least as good. No special tools are needed to rebuilt the DT's either.

DT Swiss stainless steel sealed cartridge bearings throughout, should last forever with careful use.

Mavic X517 Ceramic rims, rare black CD versions so these are the ultimate rim brake XC rims being CoucheDure hard-anodized for strength and durability AND Ceramic coated for best braking (as good as discs wet or dry in my experience) and a braking surface that lasts nearly forever!

32 hole, built tight 3-cross front and rear for best combination of strength and comfort

DT Swiss Revolution spokes for more weight saving towards the outer edge of the wheels (these accelerate and brake SOOOOO well!)

DT Swiss brass nipples for reliability and longevity

Weights are a fantastic 690g front and 850g rear which considering they are 32-spoke, bombproof, reliable and have never needed truing is a pretty amazing weight.

Everything is tight, true and super smooth. No play anywhere in the hubs as to be expected with such minimal mileage. Alloy cassette body so the usual signs of a cassette being fitted but as you can see from the pics this is only very slight marking due to the light use.

Obviously cost a fortune due to the hubset and quality of rims/spokes/build, (at current prices you are looking at around £600 worth!).

Asking £260 ono

UK mainland postage will be £12, can send worldwide at cost.

Yep he's a class builder... I've had wheels from lbs and Graham Weigh literally fall apart, then wheels from Harry Rowland and Pete Matthews that never need a spoke key.

I've found the latter are built much tighter, probably more to it than that of course but just an observation. Sloppy spokes definitely leads to breakages!

But yeah, these are very special handbuilt wheels, will be very sad to see them go but they just never get ridden at the mo :(

Damn! I don't have a frame for these.
DT 240s are Sooo much nicer than Kings, and 517s are the real deal - good thick ceramic coating rather than a micron of clay on 717s.
And built by Lord Rowlands...
for less than the price of a rear hub. :shock:

suburbanreuben":3r2da4lw said:
Damn! I don't have a frame for these.
DT 240s are Sooo much nicer than Kings, and 517s are the real deal - good thick ceramic coating rather than a micron of clay on 717s.
And built by Lord Rowlands...
for less than the price of a rear hub. :shock:

A man who knows his wheels! :)

Yep, I wanted the best of everything when I got these - best hubs, best spokes, best rims and best builder.

Like you say a rear hub alone runs at more than I am asking for the whole wheelset so I think I've priced them pretty cheap and someone who wants some top quality rim-brake hoops is going to get a bargain.

KillerTurtle":30g6ylzl said:
No they are not anymore :cool:

Yep, looks like they are off to Germany - the land where the quality of Fat Chance, Pace, DT etc is very much appreciated!

Bye bye to the best wheels I've ever owned :cry:

Back