SOLD Raleigh road bike for sale, 70s-ish

Mikey7094

Retro Newbie
This is now SOLD.

I am selling my Raleigh road bike, because I’ve realised it’s too small for me. I used it for commuting for a while, but now it’s not being used. The seat tube is about 21in/53cm long, and the top tube is about 22in/56cm.

I don’t know what model it is because it has been extensively modified by the previous owner, most noticeably with the paint job. The paint job isn’t very good, but it has at least kept the rust at bay. They have fitted a triple chainset (Sronglight) at the front, and a smaller cassette at the back to give higher gearing. The shifters are Shimano and have been moved up to the stem, which is a Milremo stem. The front derailleur is Simplex and the rear Suntour. The wheels are 700c Rigida alloys, the saddle is Brooks and the brakes are Weinmann.

The frame is rust-free except for a few chips in the paint and a bit of the chain stay where the paint has been rubbed off by the thicker-than-usual tyres I made the mistake of fitting (I've posted a photo of this). The Raleigh badge on the head tube appears to have fallen off at some point during my ownership.

I can only get the smallest sprocket at the back very occasionally – I’m sure the derailleur could be adjusted to get top gear, but I never got round to it.

The only other problem is that whoever fitted the triple chainset obviously had to fit a longer bottom bracket spindle, but it is the wrong type of spindle and doesn’t leave room for the lockring on the adjustable cup. So they just omitted the lockring. I took it to a bike mechanic, who used thread lock to stop the cup turning, but this doesn’t work that well.

The bike rides very nicely, everything works and the gears are smooth. I have just re-greased the wheel bearings, and I recently re-greased the pedal bearings, and they were all in good condition. I fitted a new chain when I bought the bike in November 2013.

I’m looking for £100 ono. It is located in Oxford, and it really needs collecting – I would consider posting it but I haven’t posted anything this big before and I don’t have any big boxes lying around.

I hope it finds a good home!

Thanks

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1200_1.JPG
    IMG_1200_1.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_1201_1.JPG
    IMG_1201_1.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_1203_1.JPG
    IMG_1203_1.JPG