Sold SOLD: Eddy Merckx MX Leader Bike, Campag Record Gruppo

Mistertee

Retro Newbie
Reluctantly for sale, my superb 1998 Eddy Merckx MX Leader 57cm frame and forks, original GAN Team Issue. Beautiful stencilled colour scheme, built with Campagnolo Record groupset throughout. Originally bought from UK importer Patrick Schils in 1998. The frame was an ex team spare, never used. My race use only, it had a total of 24 road races logged only and is immaculate as you will see from the image below and here...

http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/TilleyandTilley/story

The frame paint work and gloss clear coat are in excellent condition. Please note there is not a single corrosion spot to any of the chrome. All chrome is PERFECT with no pitting whatsoever. The bike has been stored indoors and the inside of this frame has been sprayed with JP Weigels frame saver. Supplied with original Merckx factory touch up bottle. Beautiful airbrush stencil paintwork, any new owner will be very pleased indeed.

Arguably the most significant bikes to ever leave the Merckx factory, MX Leaders were race-ready, pedigree machines. Made with Merckx’s proprietary lugs and Columbus MXL tubesets, they were some of the stiffest steel frames at the time. For most framebuilders, knowing MAX is Columbus' big gun is enough. But for Eddy Merckx, it had to be improved. Merckx had his own tubeset, tweaked to suit the rigors of stage racing and long one-day events for his sponsored pros (Motorola, Lotto, Telekom and GAN). It's short wheelbase let the MX Leader descend like nothing else. Point the bike downhill, aim it at a corner's apex and you'll sweep through in a magic arc. The fat, aero-shaped MAX fork blades do a terrific job of relaying tactile information from the hub to your hands. As far as high-speed handling is concerned, it's hard to imagine a bike being much better than this.

DIMENSIONS:
Top tube C-C - 57cm
Seat tube C-C - 57cm (59cm C-T)
Head tube E-E - 16.5cm

Other Details:
Seat post 27.2mm
Braze on front mech
1 inch threaded fork
Italian threaded bottom bracket shell

COMPONENTS:
All groupset components are Campagnolo 9spd Record, including titanium seat post, headset and pedals. Bars are Cinelli 44cm Eubios, 13cm Oyster stem.
Chainset - 172.5mm 53/39
Cassette - 12-18
Saddle - Selle Italia
Wheelset - Campagnolo Proton (Record hubs), new Vittoria tyres.

I am looking for offers in the region of £1,500. This beautiful bike needs to be appreciated up close and I would prefer collection, rather than risking packing and delivery. Bike is in Scottish Borders.

Re:

Hi there, thanks for the interest and yes, still for sale. Let me have any contact details and I can contact you directly tomorrow.

Back