SOLD : Dave Yates Diabolo full MAX OR 18"

MatBH5

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hello all,

Next up, clearing space in the garage, a 18" (seat, c-t) full fillet-brazed Diabolo frame from Dave Yates.
Assume early-90's, 1" headset, quite a long frames with a 22" top tube c-c, Ritchey dropouts. Frame 7512, supplied through Ghyllside Cycles.

Has been used and has typical small dings on the top tube which many MAX OR frames seem to attract, but you have to look hard - nothing I'd term a dents.
Also some chainsuck and heel-rub on those massive MAX chainstays.
I should also say there are other faults in the paint (or is it powdercoat) consistent with a 20+yr old bike. A few of those annoying wormy marks, chips etc... I'm probably playing this down too much now.
Cool fastback seatstay arrangement and little chess-piece canti-hanger.
Oddly long headtube at 140mm (would make a good dropbar build I think), the tube isn't quite plumb straight (front to back - think banana but obviously nothing like that bad), but Dave Yates assures me (I sent photos) that 'slight distortion or 'out' on the headtube on a fillet brazed frame is normal and shouldn't be a problem if the faces are parallel'. (I am happy to forward the email to interested parties). There is also the slightest craze to the paint on one of the headtube fillets, on one side. Again, I pointed this out to Yates and they weren't concerned (you cant feel anything there, so just the paint).
73mm bottom bracket shell - I have an M900 I'd be willing to discuss a price for with the buyer, if required.

Bit of a wrench to let go, especially as kind Retrobiker Kaya went to great lengths to pick up & post for me.

Not sure how to price this - thinking about the possible price of a Kona Explosif frame in MAX OR as a yardstick, and this is British, I'm going to say £150 plus £15 post, ppg etc. Or you can pick up and have a cuppa in Bournemouth. I'm back and forward to London a bit (weekdays) too.

SOLD : £125

Photos up and always happy to send full-res or more via email.

Cheers

Mat

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 701
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 699
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 699
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 699
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 700
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 701
Re:

Bump ... happy to email full-size pictures, have many more of the frame. Also, always happy to chat on price.

Re:

That headtube is loooooooooong :LOL:
I'd love to know the story behind that.

By the way Mat, your frame you left with me is still in the x-ray waiting room. Working at Rolls Royce soon, and they have a big enough system to get it into, so I'll hopefully get it scanned then.

Oh, have a bump too ;)

Re: Dave Yates Diabolo full MAX OR 18"

Superb.

Is it actually a Diabolo, or a custom, what with that head tube, tube set and no eyelets.

Thats a great price by the way

Re:

Thanks Makster and Nick, yes it is a nice price of kit, I think it would have been a custom build. Difficult to see how the particular set of features would have come about otherwise.
Clearly marked Diabolo though.
Hopefully someone will stick a hand up soon!
Cheers

Plus Makster, look forward to seeing inside the Hardisty!

Back