SOLD 52cm BACO Columbus Pro-Level Spidel / Modolo SOLD

Vince

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone,

Here we have for sale a mid 80’s pro-level Baco bike.

This was custom built in the early to mid 80’s using Columbus tubing by Baco, who was a renowned Parisian builder from the 70's and 80's. His very nice craftsmanship was gained from training with Alain Michel and led him to building a lot of frames for Wolhauser. You’re not going to see many of these around London!

Geometry is 52cm square with Columbus chrome forks, runs 700c wheels and a 110mm stem so will suit a rider around 5ft5’ to 5ft8’ ish (165cm-172cm). The frame has really nice lungs (lined) and is stamped 2 18 on the BB shell. The bike works really well, seatpost & stem move freely, no play in the BB, responsive gear change and brakes.

The Spidel / Stronglight / Simplex equipment fitted to the bike was intended primarily for racing use / high end racing bikes – Similar equipment was used at pro-level at the time and was ridden in the Tour de France by the likes of Hinault & Fignon . The Renault-elf/Gitane Team Pro bike had similar equipment so it goes without saying that these don’t come up for sale often.

Get a cup of tea, the show is starting now…

Chainset: Stronglight Model 107 - 144 mm BCD, 170mm arms - "aero" successor to the model 106, this double chainset comes with 52/44T chainrings. Marked 170 D3 14x125 at the back, they take standard 9/16 pedals.
Bottom bracket is a french threaded Spidel 35x1.
Rear Derailleur: Simplex SLJ-6600 Aerodynamic. The best of the Simplex lines of components. This was the final incarnation of the SLJ series derailleur. It is a dropped parallelogram, double sprung design made of aluminium alloy.
Front Derailleur: Simplex Super LJ, late versions with the arm on the rear and the satin finish.
•Associated with the Simplex/Spidel retrofriction levers, these are the best French derailleurs of this era.
Wheelset: Spidel hubs for screw on freewheel, Mavic GP4 700c tubular rims, Spidel QR skewers, 2x very recent Vittoria Competition Rally 21 28” tyres Kelvar 3D compound – will also come with a spare tub.
Chain and Cassette: Sedis chain and Sachs-Maillard ‘Course’ 6 speed 13T-18T Freewheel.
Brakeset: Modolo Master-Pro, which was an upgraded Modolo Professional with titanium bolts, anthracite hard anodized calipers. The original pads have been replaced by Shimano Profile 60. This is the commercial version of the pro ones which were used by Hinault, Fignon and Lemond as they do not bear any serial numbers. Shimano 600 Tri-Colour RL-6401 Aero brake levers
Headset: Stronglight/Spidel
Seatpost: ITM 26.6mm fluted Look Delta pedals branded Massi (will come with brand new cleats)
Saddle: Period correct Selle Italia Anatomic in brown suede
Bars: 3TTT Mod Competizione 40cm C-C, 42cm O-O - this is the Pista model with no cable ridges. Brand new Condor white bar tape.
Stem: 3TT 110mm stem
Pedals: Look Delta pedals, branded Massi - come with brand new cleats.

The frame has a few scratches, nothing major - certainly no dents/dings, some slight pitting on the chrome forks as you would expect from a 30 years old steed. Change the aero levers and pedals and you've got one seriously fast ride for L'Eroica.

I have put fresh bar tape, Colnago stickers and re-routed the FD cable last night, it looks pretty good and it's ready to ride.

The bike is really fast and responsive, come for a test ride in Chancery Lane to see for yourself!

Price wise, I am after £SOLD.

I'm sure I've forgotten something so let me know if you need more info.

Cheers

Vince

The photo album is located here:
http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums...es and Parts for Sale/Mid 80s BACO Pro Level/

2012-06-19201035.jpg

Please let me know if you think the asking price is way off.

I'll probably end up breaking it if I get no interest.

Cheers

Vince

Re: 52cm BACO Columbus 7 speed Pro-Level Race Spidel / Modol

Price Drop to £SOLD - I can also post if you are far away.

Will probably end up breaking it into parts if no interest.

Cheers

Vince

Hey Vince. That sir is a rather special bike let down only by the brake levers, saddle and Colnago stickers.

Sadly you probably will be better of splitting it Simplex & Spidel especially is mighty fine components that are very popular amongst the Americans who are way ahead of us Europeans as to just how special these quality French bikes and parts are.

Tel":23n7rpef said:
Hey Vince. That sir is a rather special bike let down only by the brake levers, saddle and Colnago stickers.

Sadly you probably will be better of splitting it Simplex & Spidel especially is mighty fine components that are very popular amongst the Americans who are way ahead of us Europeans as to just how special these quality French bikes and parts are.

100% agree with everything said especially the part about the stickers. If there's one thing I can't stomach on a bike it's the wrong decals/stickers. I can just hear the bike cry out in pain!

Nice bike though, hope someone buys it soon.

Due to the lack of interest, I will split the bike into spares shortly, let me know if you are interested in specific compoments.
Cheers
Vince

Back