SOLD 1993 Merlin Titanium 17.5" With XT Groupset

konasexthreerider

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
For sale is my '93 Merlin Titanium.

Is it in very good condition throughout. I hunted high and low (and overseas) to get the parts for the build in the best condition I could find. In true 'retro' fashion this site doesn't allow modern photo files! Trust me, the bike looks 10 times better in the flesh.

It weighs in at a feathery 22.3lb. My 2013 £3k full carbon Isaac Proton XC weighs exactly the same. 20 years later and the Merlin is still as light as the modern high end bikes. Fitting rigid Pace RC31 forks would probably see it close to or possibly dip under 20lb.

Spec as follows:

Frame 17.5" centre-to-top seat tube with a 22.5" centre-to-centre top tube
Shimano XT 737 groupset (hubs, shifters, levers, cantilevers, F+R mechs and chainset)
TA Specialities titanium bottom bracket
Tune titanium seat post quick release
Chris King headset
Pace RC35 forks
Carbon ITM post
RaceFace stem
Bontrager bars
Selle Royal seat

Other things worth mentioning are the brand new Charge Splashback 1.8 folding tyres, brand new Shimano HG71 8 speed chain, nearly new OEM XT brake pads, all new Shimano cables (inners and outers) and the XT 737 hubs were NOS when they were built up a couple of years ago. Everything works as it should.

If I was keeping the bike I'd stick a Flite Titanium seat on it, carbon steerer spacers and some carbon RaceFace bars. It would look even better and you'd probably save some weight too.

Collection preferred by I will post. I will not post abroad.

£1175.00 delivered ono.

It's hard to judge the value of the bike. I see Kleins (even repainted Kleins) going for 2,3,4k+. With a titanium frame at least you can use it and know that in 20 years time it'll look exactly the same as when it was new. No discolouration, paint fading, paint chips and scratches, etc, etc.

Any questions just ask. I have loads of photos I can send to serious buyers. It is always difficult to gauge the condition of a retrobike but I personally think it's in excellent condition. Of course there are some imperfections as it is a used 22 year old bike so don't get carried away with your expectations. Thanks, Andy.

Attachments

• merlin1.jpg
    merlin1.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 947
  • merlin3.jpg
    merlin3.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 947
  • merlin4.jpg
    merlin4.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 947
  • merlin2.jpg
    merlin2.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 947
Re:

I won't arrange delivery abroad but I am happy for someone to arrange collection from my work and sort out the delivery themselves. I'll make sure the bike is well packaged in a proper bike box.

Thanks,

Andy

Back