SOLD.... 1991 Alpinestars Al Mega DX

regan_ev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
Needs must. I figure it's easier to split the bike as that tends to be the way most things go, and I want to keep the cables and handlebar, so it's going as a split.

Common sense approach to this as follows:
Bike is currently complete, so I'll unbolt the bits and pieces as they are sold.
Postage is extra, I'll work with you on postage options.
Payment by direct bank transfer OR PayPal. I won't accept friends payment unless I know where you live. So add 3.5% if using PP. You can also pay by text message. I can even take a credit card.

Pics of everything in build thread (see link in sig).

Happy to field questions, comment beliow with queries but it's best to Click on this and DM via MESSENGER becasue everybody hates the clunky RB carrier pigeon message box

=============================================================================

Frame: 1991 ALPINESTARS AL-MEGA DX, 17.5"
Frame and fork repainted in 2016 by ARGOS RACING CYCLES, Bristol. It's Argos's standard neon yellow. A gorgeous vivid neon colour. White is a pearl finish. Decals are lacquered over. The Retrobike sticker is on top.
Headtube reinforcement gusset (à la late-91/92 Al-Mega frames) welded on by Argos.
Replacement decals (custom spec for this build) from Gil_m @ Retrodecals.
- comes with the following:
• Original Alpinestars rear brake cable seat tube cable guide, although it's a 92 cable guide, much better than the seat clamp mounted version on the 91 model.
• NOS Shimano Deore DX FD-M650 1¼" Bolt-on Front Derailleur, with special Alpinestars frame fixing nut from Rampage aka Chris @ Intrincycle
• will include all cable ferrules
• will include original Alpinestars e-stay bottle cage and full set of titanium bottle cage bolts.
Price for the frame is £350.00 (There's £300.00 of paint on it!)

If there's a buyer for frame they get the OPTION on the fork, the Chris King devolution headset, the Ringlé seat collar and correct 68/122.5 BB. So these items will be split only after frame sells.

Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN71 68/122.5mm. Spins lovely. £25.00

Seatpost Collar & QR NOS Genuine Ringlé 34.9mm (1⅜") Collar and TiStix quick release. Silver ano. £120.00

Fork:1995 RockShox Judy XC, repainted by Argos. Neon yellow. Perfect unmarked stanchions. NOS 28mm wiper seals, NOS crown & 1⅛" threadless steerer. Ti bolts, NOS Kronos medium weight springs. NOS canti-hanger brace PLUS matching V-brake brace painted at the same time £175.00

Headset: NOS Chris King NoThreadSet Devolution 1¼" - 1⅛", everything it should have, top cap, crown race, a genuine CK spacer. No box. Will be removed by LBS. £110.00

Stem: Answer A•TAC 135mm 1⅛" Ahead, silver ano, replacement decals from Gil_m. About perfect. £40.00

Canti Brakes WITHOUT pads: NOS Shimano BR-M650 Cantilevers, two pairs front & rear, with bolts, with NOS Shimano A/73 & B/84 straddle links. £40.00

Brake Pads:NOS Shimano M-System. With box. £30.00

Brake Levers/Shifters: NOS Shimano Deore DX RapidFire Plus STI-M075. With box. £80.00

Rear Derailleur: NOS Shimano Deore DX RD-M650 (SS). With box. £75.00

Cassette: NOS Shimano CS-HG70 7-speed 12-28T. With box. £75.00

45109951504_4309548ff8.jpg
[/url]

Chainset: NOS Shimano Deore DX FC-MT60 175mm cranks. NOS dustcaps. NOS Shimano bolts. Gorgeous low mileage SG 46/36/24T rings. £80.00

Pedals: NOS Shimano PD-M525 SPD, with box, + axle tool. (Will include cleats if they're in box but I might've already used them, so not guaranteed.) £50.00

45837164391_b18ab0e5bb.jpg
[/url]

Wheels: NOS Ritchey Vantage Comp 32H 6061 T6, 415grams, NOS HB-M650 & FH-M650 32H, DT Swiss Double Butted Stainless Spokes, Alloy nipples. And new Ritchey rim tape inside! £160.00

Skewers: Ringlé Holey replica TiStix QR Skewers made by user:Raymond_mole, Silver anodised. £90.00

Tyres: VVGC Ritchey Megabite Z-Max folding. Pair. Super clean, supple, no splits or cracks. £90.00

Saddle: NOS Avocet O2 AirGel 50R Titanium, with box £50.00

Seatpost: New Ritchey Classic Aluminium Silver ∅31.6mm, shortened to fit in this frame. £15.00

Re: 1991 Alpinestars Al Mega DX SPLITTING Lots of NOS!

what a gorgeous build (what a shame to spit) !!

k-rod":35em8yob said:
what a gorgeous build (what a shame to spit) !!
Thanks. A proper labour of love and never contemplated having to sell it but I’m moving in with the girlfriend imminently, and I have another garage queen build underway which means that only one gets to stay in the house. And dare I say, the newer one is a bit prettier on the eye!

Got a few strong enquiries on frame only, then wheels, mechs and shifters as a package so should be mostly gone by tomorrow.

Such is the circle of Retrobike collecting it seems! My first ever build and my favourite. I think selling the unicorn two years ago paved the way to sell anything. But the next build is deffo a keeper. Honest... :p

At least if the bulk gets sold, I don’t mind resinstalling the forks as wall art! (This photo from before NOS crown-steerer was fitted) :cool:

Attachments

• 7BD86199-257D-4655-ABCF-07ECADC0347A.jpeg
    7BD86199-257D-4655-ABCF-07ECADC0347A.jpeg
    34.9 KB · Views: 486

Just noticed that this is entered in BOTM, though in the rules it cannot be for sale too, it's either one or the other, bud.
P.s. I much prefer this to your '92, it looks so bland compared to this...I know which one I'd keep!

Re:

Maybe sell the GF and keep all bikes :? ? That looks insanely good. Now I´m curious what the other garage queen is ...

Hotwheels.":6fjnifag said:
Just noticed that this is entered in BOTM, though in the rules it cannot be for sale too, it's either one or the other, bud.
P.s. I much prefer this to your '92, it looks so bland compared to this...I know which one I'd keep!

Yes I am aware of the rule too. :oops: But whilst it's still in my possession I can still enter it, and it can still get votes, even though it is advertised. Happy to post a daily photo with it and a copy of <insert newspaper or daily publication of your choice here> to validate my ongoing entry to BOTM, but, oh, hang on, someone has deleted my entry. :LOL: FWIW Norman's M16 is a proper badass build, it gets my vote whatever comes afterwards, and the Rektek is sublime. I did ay it would be the last time it's entered when I posted, becasue I was already thinking of entering it...

Well not to worry, the following post will definitely render it ineligible.

And you're totally right about the 92 Alpinestars colourways. They really lost their way on them, and in 1993 it got even worse when the curved seat tubes were changed to straight, they offered double diamond frames alonside the e-stays, then e-stays died altogether from 1994 and the rest is history.

Cheers :mrgreen:

SOLD. In one piece. Including the cables. And with a minty silver Answer hyperLITE to replace the yellow TaperLITE.
It's off to a loving home! Well happy.

Thanks for all enquiries, the wheels, tyres, chainset and brifters were already dibbed along with the Ringlé seat clamp, and a strong enquiry on the frame only.

But going as a job lot is the best thing I think. Plus I haven't got to whip the Allen keys out either.

Back