So what's the story with Dekerf?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's brilliant , ta! I guess the reason I missed them in the early '90's was the limited numbers that would have been produced. :D

At least now I know what all the fuss is about (and can fully understand ;) ).

Chris Dekerf also built bikes for Rod Kirkham who started Mountain and Beach Bikes in British Columbia back '86 and then went on to start Offroad Toad. Dekerf made some of the Toads and also built one of the rarest MTB's around, The Horny Toad (only 9 bikes built)

Attachments

• horny toad.jpg
    horny toad.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 5,104
Anthony":rrqlzcbz said:
Just about every other builder who charges the kind of prices he does offers a full-custom deal on both sizing and paint. de Kerf's charge for off-the-peg sizing and a range of standard colours is getting on for the price of an off-the-peg titanium frame. .

This is not completely true. I am in the middle of a mail conversation with Chris and he offers to comletely customize the frame. Therefore i have chosen for crud catcher bolts on the down tube. No bottle mounts on the seat tube. I am going for the InSet headset of Chris King and am thinking about a BB30. The lengths of the tubes will be decided when i actually place my order as well as the final choice of tubes.

I have owned a team SST and it was definately the best bike i have owned thusfar. If you are thinking of buying one... DO SO!!!

They are built in my back yard, Vancouver British Columbia Canada. I grew up with them all around me. Yes expensive. But still relatively common place. They are a beautifully built frame. Almost bought one once.
Roy

I have a couple of them.

A "Series 1 Landrover green" original singlespeed that the nice in-sewer-ants man bought for me when one of my old Breezers died in a big going-too-fast-and-hitting-a-pothole-hard accident in the Yorkshire Dales.

And

A UK Ltd that I bought when a shop owner on the old Singletrackworld forum was selling up. I think that one cost me about £450.

They are lovely. I would highly recommend one to any steel hardtail fan.

I recently bought a Generation frame with some Z2 forks from another retrobiker from here and payed £240 for it, which i didn't think was too bad for such a classy frame. I only remember seeing a Dekerf back in my racing days and just loved the way they look. I've done a few rides on mine now and its a beautiful ride ,good geometry and really comfortable, i'm really glad i went for it . I'm thinking of getting a dekerf rigid fork for mine, i've never seen a set of these in the flesh though!

:cool: yeah id love one of there Ti stem/bar..........

Dsc00293b.jpg

im after one of these:

DK1.jpg

DK2.jpg

anyone starts selling them over here and i will have one.......until then i will have to wait and get one ordered from canada.

this is nice too......

DK_CX8.jpg

Back