So how long will they all last?

Anthony":r9r6ex3g said:
That is a good point, but funnily enough though Geoff, I think some of the alloying elements in high-end cromoly are rust inhibitors. I think it's coincidental rather than that they're chosen for that purpose, but some cromoly barely rusts.

My 97 Kilauea in Columbus Cyber has a bit of bare metal where I propped it up and a big gust of wind blew it over against a low brick wall. I still shudder at my carelessness, but despite all my crashes, that's the worst paint damage it has ever suffered. But anyway the point is that I did nothing to it, never treated it let alone repair it, and there it is seven years later still grey metal, no sign of rust whatsoever. So unless I've got the only titanium Kilauea ever made, Columbus Cyber isn't very prone to going brown.

Alas, this doesn't seem to be the case for Prestige... :(

despite it being alu - I once poured Castrol GTX into my Zaskar frame. Dont ask....

BUT - My bike has been through the sea at Hunstanton and submerged up to the hamdlebars during the 1998 Easter floods (must scan the photos).

Of the now 1000's of bikes I've rebuilt over the years, I've never had to dump a frame becuase of corrosion, I've only ever seen severely damaged frames so far on this forum.

Geoff":2gdqp00p said:
The only thing is, build quality not withstanding, and assuming they aren't rust proofed, won't nice steel frames rust through a lot quicker than cheap ones with very thick walled tubes?

Depends how they're cared for, I guess.
From reading the threads on here, it seems at least one brand of US exotica is known for long-term rust issues.

I have a custom 1980s road frame with tubing walls so thin you can almost deform the top tube under your thumb. I can't decide whether this is a recent development, or if it was always that way. (Maybe my thumbs have just got stronger... :D)

By contrast, the Kona cruiser has very average tubing but rides great. It's already seen 13 years of loving neglect as a pub and commuter bike and still looks in top shape. It has dozens of paint chips but, like Anthony's, they refuse to rust.

The other Kona cruiser and the 1964 Raleigh Roadster are total beasts made from industrial gas-pipes and will probably outlast any mechanical device - except maybe a Swiss military bike.

Back