Single speeds - why why why WHY?????

xeo":iv7f1jwx said:
hhmm gota say i really dont get this s/s craze..mtb's are/were/always/born to have gears!

im often gutted to see a decent retrobike with all the cool bits raped off it. it certainatly wasnt a craze in ze ole dayz!

There is plenty of room for both ;) oh..and I think what you now think as cool, in the day was passe...and got ripped off :LOL:

I built one just to save losing my spare parts and because I felt like it.

SS the GT LTS DS.

Why?

The question should be 'Why not?' :twisted:

ss should have at least some appeal to anyone thats had their rear mech explode 10 miles from home, though personally i think what these people really want is a bmx.

I'm more sure 7 speeding my Raliegh IS the way to go after reading all this! single speed isn't all that retro i suppose if we're not digging as far back as klunked beach cruisers. Each mod is upto the owner, life (and this site) would be boring if we all did the same things. ;)
Perry, i think you've just read too much of this stuff! :D sensitive to it, loads of passionate subjects I'm bored of reading about now for the same reason these days! Build a 30 speed bike just for fun/holiday and report back :D besides my new frame is coming soon so that be interesting(ish) for ya, one gear for now tho.... :D

I have a 24 speed, a 3 speed, a singlespeed and tomorrow I'll have a 4 speed.
Don't see why it's got to be an either/or situation, although I sold my Gary Fisher to Sheffield because I thought it was a shame to build something so lovingly restored to factory spec with ugly modern parts. Depends what you like riding.

I guess building a singlespeed is a better way of doing things than trying to hack your fingers off to stop yourself shifting.... ;)

SS Hell yes!

why why why???

Because I live in Florida and it's FLAT FLAT FLAT!!! :shock: :LOL:

I have geared bikes for when I need them, but local to me, I just don't need them! :D

Have you tried cleaning a geared bike in this weather after daily use for god knows how long? Cleaning my SS is a breeze, thats one good reason to ride SS in my opinion!

Trevor.

Back