Single ring (32T) chainset for kids' bike, square taper

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My daughter's Zebra bike (20" wheel, Frog copy) is just on the large size for her and while she can ride it happily enough now, the gearing was probably designed for a child with longer legs (and possibly more stamina!). It has a 7-speed freewheel and a 36T chainset. Her slightly older sister is on an Islabike 20" and the range of gears on that seems perfect, but it's got a 32T chainset. So I'd like to get hold of another 32T to fit it if possible!

Cheers :cool:

Re:

can be a challenge from my experience, goodluck, part of any difficulty maybe the crank length of what you have as well as gearing which can be an issue on some of the copies. Fortunately my daughter has grown out of these issues, and age 12 is taller and longer legged than the Mrs. What's the zebra like weight wise. Small cranksets are rare / expensive unless off a wrecked kids bike but then interchangeability becomes an issue.

Re:

I have these if you'd like to try them first.

They're 140mm arms and 40T chainring. I know you want 32 but I can have a better look later when I go down to see my Dad. I have these from breaking a BSO a few weeks ago.

Fatal Swan":314na3sk said:
Her slightly older sister is on an Islabike 20" and the range of gears on that seems perfect, but it's got a 32T chainset. So I'd like to get hold of another 32T to fit it if possible!

Islabike will supply spares directly if you contact them.

Re: Re:

pigman":s6fqekpy said:
Theres these

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s109p19 ... Impact-Kid

You can get the cranks alone, but for £10 difference, I'd get the double chainset and have a spare ring. 110 BCD so 34 is the smallest.
Oof, pricey! But thanks for spotting it. The current chainset has a 36t so not much of an improvement, unfortunately. I hadn't imagined it would be so hard to find this kind of chainset but if this is the kind of cost (I imagine a new one through Islabikes is going to be similar) then I'll probably just stick a wider ratio 7-speed freewheel on instead...

Re: Re:

Fatal Swan":9r4fzttw said:
pigman":9r4fzttw said:
(I imagine a new one through Islabikes is going to be similar]

Was about £35 when I ordered one - quite reasonable really.

The particularly good thing about the Islabikes cranks is they are appropriately short for little legs - 127mm. Also they have a narrow profile and a chainguard. Well worth it IMO.

Back