show us your 29ers, modern and retromod 29ers

ultrazenith":jet0xawe said:
I'm seeing lots of steel and rigid 29ers here :) What's the verdict from retrobikers - are rigid 29ers capable beasts?

I'm thinking of going with an On One Inbred 29 with rigid fork and (maybe) fat front wheel. Am I mad? Would a regular 29 front wheel be better?

A rigid 29'er can be a lot of fun, you're still limited by a lack of front boing to a certain extent .
The Inbred is a capable bike, nothing special, but good value and a good ride, not sure about running a Fat front wheel though, I have 29x2.4 tyres and clearance is fairly tight, maybe go for a full Fat frame? Or stick with a 29" or 29+ front wheel?

The chunky monkeys and honey badgers at the right pressure give a nice cushion. Boing is better downhill over bumpy rutty tracks though.

firedfromthecircus":1ciy8wo4 said:
24pouces":1ciy8wo4 said:
kingoffootball":1ciy8wo4 said:
There's nothing retro in those bikes :?

See the Flite saddle at the top of the page?
That's a genuine 1995 I'll have you know. :LOL:

I saw it… but t's not enough for keeping that thread there :roll:

Oh and half a 29er with a 97 frame for good measure. This is Frank.

I didn't think it was that bad.

ultrazenith":4flydtu2 said:
A question to riders of rigid 29ers, do they feel much smoother than a 29 rigid?

You mean smoother than a 26" rigid?

imo, Yes.
When I first tried one on my local route I found the usual trail lumps and bumps I was expecting the bike to dip and dive into or over weren't half as bad as usual on a 26" wheel. It's not a huge difference, but it is noticeable (to me at least).

Apart from more modern geometry and angles, the bigger wheels were the only difference from my 26" rigid retro Mtb, I concluded that the bigger wheels do in fact make a difference.

Dunno why I didn't try a 29'er years ago Tbh :|

However, the 29" wheels will begin limiting the usability and accessibility of the bike once the terrain becomes rough or discombobulated enough (26" wheel navigate/handle the rougher stuff more easily).

jimo746":me811s61 said:
ultrazenith":me811s61 said:
A question to riders of rigid 29ers, do they feel much smoother than a 29 rigid?

You mean smoother than a 26" rigid?

imo, Yes.
When I first tried one on my local route I found the usual trail lumps and bumps I was expecting the bike to dip and dive into or over weren't half as bad as usual on a 26" wheel. It's not a huge difference, but it is noticeable (to me at least).

Apart from more modern geometry and angles, the bigger wheels were the only difference from my 26" rigid retro Mtb, I concluded that the bigger wheels do in fact make a difference.

Dunno why I didn't try a 29'er years ago Tbh :|

As above. Especially for the er, 'larger' gentleman or lady.

29 beats 26 whatever.

Back