Shogun Trail Breaker or Saracen Rufftrax? first retro MBT project

Wandering_Lark

Retro Newbie
Looking at getting into the retro ATB kinda thing.
Seen both of these coming up on the bay - and I'm wondering which is best to gun for for a solid simple first project to do some learning on?
Thanks!

Comes down to condition/price/size at that level, go with your best fit for either/all the elements and get out and enjoy. I've experience with the saracen steels, good frames but sometimes let down by components so a basic upgrade can work wonders. Go with either

As above honestly, both are a reasonable lower end bike built on a decent steel frame. Saracen being a British brand & Shogun being overseas (and by their model names I'd suggest maybe were aimed at competition with Saracen). I really like the build quality and finish of my Shogun Tuff Trail but if you've no real preference then I'd go with whichever comes up first in the right size and at the right price. (My Tuff Trail came courtesy of the local tip for £10).

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Lincoln is basic and nasty. £65 is its value as transport or for use as a boat anchor. Fine to ride daily and lock up at the station but no source of joy.

Underrated brands which I think are well worth it are Dawes, Trek, Univega. Dawes especially often used really nice tubesets yet sell for next to nothing. Trek are always nicely finished but suffer from over-exposure. Univegas just ride really well and for some reason aren't as appreciated as Kona.

Giant also are underrated IMO. Picked up my '89 Escaper for £15 or £20 from the local tip. That Lincoln looks to be a fairly modern cheapie likely made of chinese gas pipe and plastic, honestly wouldn't consider paying £6.50 to rob parts off it myself.

Whereabouts are you based & what size frame do you need? Got a couple of late '90s GT frames (one is a near complete bike actually) that are going back to the tip if nobody wants them.

Back