Shimano shifters with Magura HS22- how??

damianw

Orange 🍊 Fan
Stupid question time- if I use Magura HS22 brakes, how do I fit shimano shifters? Is there an adaptor that fits to the brakes??? Anyone have experience of this?
Thanks!

If your shifters are not band on then you'll need an adapter for the magura brake and its dead easy to fit. Google search "magura shiftmix" to find the adapters. Did I understand that right?

Yup - You can get some Magura adapters to use the "pod" from your original "brifters". I've got a couple tucked away somewhere for a rainy day. The shifter pods just need to have the cable stops/adjuster barrels.

You can only use shiftmix if your HS22 are the later split clamp type. If they are the later type you can also use Hope match makers, these bolt straight on & they have same profile as the Magura clamp. These are the ones I have currently fitted with XT M770 shifters.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ok, this is all really helpful- they are not a split clamp… so that’s going to be difficult to use anything like say XT 737 or XTR 900 shifters?

If you are trying to use m900 or similar shifter pods from brifters, options are limited, magura did a plastic adapter, x-lite an alloy one, other brands did too but were very expensive, and I'm not sure how easy any are to come by these days.

If it were me, I'd not bother with m900, I always thought the shifters looked great but didn't work as well as xt. I'd look for xt m739 or m740 shifters as they have a bar clamp, are 8 speed and are period for what you've mentioned.

Hi,
Just wanted to provide some more examples or work arounds as I simply do not like STI "Brifters" at all.

Magura and Shogun had plastic "perches" especially the latter show up every now and then and not so expensive.
Magura
Shogun

Here Shogun with Trigger from LX65x series
1000026116.jpg

Grafton had lovely aluminum perches.
1000026121.jpg
Here a link to the german forum where some managed to re-produce a small number.

Gorilla Precision had socalled Billet Shifter Pods
1000026127.jpg
Just the strange thing they do fit only? with ST-M008 shifter, anyhow standalone.

Those ST-M008 are anyhow next to the M739 or M740 trigger mentioned from @ishaw a good choice for decent but unobtrusive Shimano shifters (without optical gear display)

The lower one in the pic is the right hand 008 shifter
1000026129.jpg

The upper one from this picture is much easier to find and cheaper, my clear recommendation, STX (RC) SL-MC38, 40, etc. shifters.
They are available with polished, silver or black aluminum clamp, with or without gear display and with 7 or 8 speed.
Some more
1000026123.jpg

Even if one doesn't like the shifter itself, those are a good source for a nice aluminum clamp.

With a very small hack (4 small holes) those clamps fit also to the trigger of earlier XT73x or XTRM900 STIs.
Here some
1000026119.jpg

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thank you for taking the time to share your expertise and knowledge - I really appreciate that. Loads of options to choose from. Thanks!

Back