Shimano RS80 carbon laminate rear wheel - cheap (with issues

velocipede

Senior Retro Guru
This is a Shimano RS80 rear - these have carbon laminated rims and are very light.

I managed to kill the front rim (don't ask) and the rear is now surplus to requirements.

These are a £400 wheel set (although can be found discounted for about £300 if you look hard enough). I've used them for sportives and the odd road race and found them to be great, and really strong despite the (lack of) weight.

The wheel runs true and the hub bearings are smooth. It has loads of life left.

The problem with it is that the rim has some sort of corrosion on it - it looks like salt damage but the wheel has never been out in winter. Having read up on it, these rims seem susceptible to this effect if they have been run tubeless - but these haven't so no idea what's going on with it. Interestingly, the front one wasn't like this……it looks a bit rough but is still straight and smooth and would make a great training or commuting wheel.

i'd keep it but my new road bike is 11 speed and these are only 8/9/10 speed compatible so I have no use for this at all…..

Anyway, the pic below gives you an idea of what I mean.

I'm only after £40 for it -

Untitled by velocipede65, on Flickr

Untitled by velocipede65, on Flickr

just thought i'd add my 2p - i have the exact same wheel, and i too have that "rash" - i think its from cleaning fluid, but ive ran mine for about 2 years now every day , through 2 winters, and only now is it needing a bearing change, and using 2 spanners its a piece of cake to do... great wheel.
GLWS

Thanks for that - I've seen a few like this - as you/I say, it's a nice wheel, just sadly looks a bit rough!

Back