Shimano headset logo orientation......

abr303

Retro Guru
What are peoples views/experience on the subject? This is not normally an issue for me when fitting CK headsets but wanted to ask peoples opinions...... I've fitted them both ways in the past but here's the $million question : When fitting a Shimano headset lower cup, eg. Deore XT, do you have the logo facing forward (12 o'clock/6 o'clock as you sit on the bike) or so both logos are seen from the side (9 o'clock/3 o'clock)...?
Sorry if this has been asked before but searches have proven sparse. xt headset.png

Yeah, and as you can imagine various opinions too.

I think it was side to side for manufacturers to show off the product, personally I have them facing front back normally, though have had them side to side too.

If logo is doublesided (like xt on pic above) I prefer to install 9/3 o`clock. If it have only one side (for example dx) I fit at 12 o`clock.
I agree there as the last one I fitted was DX on my Stumpy so single logo at 12 o'clock.... Even though XT has the two logos, in terms of how it looks personally I still prefer it at 12 o'clock plus from experience, the logos at 9 & 3 o'clock are prone to getting worn/rubbed off due to the gear outer cable rubbing on them....
head press - Copy.jpg

12 and 6.

But I'm only saying that because that's the way I installed mine without thinking, and I want it to be right!

Wish I could actually ‘place’ my logo
Cables wore logo out long ago
Now lower cups are Smoke colored on one side, black on other!

Back