shimano disc brakes - what's the difference?

I don't think the Shimano brakes would work well with grip shift...the levers on the Deore and up are really, really short. Designed for one finger braking and use with triggers.

For me Deore's are hard to beat at £60 a pair (excl. rotors and mounts) for the latest ice tech compatible ones. The tool free reach adjustment doesn't bother me at all and is another sticky out thing to brake in a crash. From experience, the Deores just seem to work with little faffing and were better than the XT's I had my friend with Deore and SLX has found the same.

Try some early Hope levers, I ran these with Formula, Grimeca and XT calipers with thumb shifters.

The adjusters helped with different weather temps.

As for modern, look at the hose material, this adds to the feel of a brake as a flexible hose will expand losing some of your leverage when its pushing the fluid into the piston chamber.

LGF, have been thinking about early hopes too, but as a full set. Aren't they dot while shimano are mineral oil? Thought that made them incompatible?

foz - What angle are you running your brakes/thumbies at?
I've got the Alivio's on one bike running (one) thumbie and Deore's on another running thumbshifters and not too much of an issue fitting them.. That said I run my brakes at a ~40 degree angle (if horizontal is 0 degrees) and the thumbies mounted closer to horizontal & relatively inboard - after all, you only need to reach the end portion, not the whole thumbshifter - and I use my forefinger to shift the 'other' way (pull).

The Deore/SLX brakes are hinged clamps too, where the Alivios are one-piece slide on. Makes the Deores easier to fit & adjust etc.

Back