Shimano Deore Thumbshifter Rebuild/Mod Guide

Does anyone know what this mod is? Post is so old that the picture has disappeared. Trying to use an m732 thumb shifter on dynasis. Interested in the mech mod to reduce the amount of cable pull in total so the shifter doesn’t have to move 180 degrees. Or maybe I’ll just sack it off and use 10sp shifters
I use m730s over 8 speeds and there is more pull available than I need within normal rotation. I know that dynasys derailleurs need more pull, but the cogs are closer together so even with more speeds, the total might still be in range.

The hacks that move the connection point of the cable closer to the pivot are difficult on some dynasys derailleurs because the cable attaches to a lever extending off the back of one of the parallelogram plates, rather than attaching to a tab on one of the plates. I don't know if it is like that on all of them.

To get the cable closer to the pivot, you might have to reverse the bolt so that the cable attaches to the back (inboard) side of the lever. But watch out for spoke strike, because that lever gets pretty close to the spokes sometimes. You might also be able to drill a small hole in the lever, or use an existing hollow spot, run the cable through it, and then attach it to the bolt as is. this would probably cause excessive cable wear, though.

Another possibility, which I considered with the m730s before I realized they worked fine over 8 speeds, is padding the shifter drum itself. you could increase its diameter by lining the grove in which the cable sits.

Back