Shimanio LX derailleur replacement

d333gs

Dirt Disciple
Are there any recommended new replacements? I need to replace the one on my GT LTS. I don't want to go through the process of buying a used one on line and hoping its good.

Thanks

Hi
This one , 8 speed Deore
When you say cheaper , do you mean less expensive or lesser quality?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5817.jpeg
    IMG_5817.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 13
Budget end, quality compared to early 90s stuff is up there.

Budget end as all the higher end isn't really going to work any more.unless you can get XT, SLX from around 2020.

But Alivio or Deore should be fine.

They're still not generally cheap looking at CRC prices.
SunRace may be an alternative.

I've got a Deore M591 rear mech on my RockHopper. It's a 9 speed mech but I'm running 8 speed. The shifting is pretty much faultless: quick, precise... Remember, there are many years of Shimano trickle-down development between your old LX derailleur and a modern Deore one, so I think you would find modern Deore at least as good as old LX.

Last edited:
It's worth knowing that any Shimano 9sp mech will work at 8sp, 9sp lx tends to be fairly cheap, I find that odd as back then it was only 2 steps down from xtr and is pretty decent. Xt m760 can also be had at good prices. Not aware that any shadow mechs aren't going to work with 8sp, they just have a different style of mounting bracket to the frame to allegedly keep the rear mech more onboard and prevent exposure to getting caught by stuff. Never noticed any difference myself.

Back